"Falling for my dashing looks, huh?" he asked in a joking voice.

Doris went rigid and then jumped back, "Ew! No, don't get any wrong ideas. I was worried because you are my responsibility."

Adam closed his eyes and walked towards the road, "Yeah, you keep telling that to yourself."

Doris muttered, "I hate this guy!" She raised her voice, "What's with the get-up?"

Adam stopped and realised that he was still wearing the apron and shower cap. He quickly pulled them off, "I was sold to this irritating woman and her two daughters. They made me wash tonnes and tonnes of clothes. Don't laugh, Doris! I thought we were pressed for time. Let's go and stop laughing!"

Doris sobered and then began to laugh again. The idea of Adam doing housework appealed to her. Even Gemima was smiling.

Adam stomped ahead, clearly not happy.

They decided to stop for brunch at the nearest restaurant which was cheap, roadside café with awful bread and poor coffee. Doris took one look at the dirty plates and refused to eat. She settled with a bar of chocolate.

Gemima would have bought everything for free with her hypnotising skills but Adam insisted that as long as he had money they would pay. Doris agreed except she didn't have any money. Adam's money was nearly over too.

Doris took out the deal and was surprised yet relieved to find that the first line had been struck off with black ink. One down, nine more to go! She tried to not feel pessimistic and tell herself that it would be easy, everything would be done. The bad part? She didn't really believe herself. The next part was See a goodie house. Not really encouraging, you see. Adam was sure it was something to do with Hansel and Gretel but had no idea where to find one.

Adam's phone was discharged and they had no access to the internet. No internet is a really bad situation if you have a deadline to meet. They sat glumly, listening to country songs on the radio. Gemima knew how Doris could make her hair grow as long as Rapunzel's (a friend would do it for free) but according to the Court laws one couldn't skip over a part of deal. Until a former part was fulfilled the latter ones would not be cleared even if you cleared them.

The café owner, a short, unfriendly man, switched the radio station and listened to the news. Doris listened without even trying too. Strangely enough, news always interested her. It made her feel at home, in charted territory. News always had realistic elements- thought-out questions and facts presented in a systematic, punctual manner.

There was a cyclone somewhere....some groups were fighting each other for autonomy...the weather was sunny but it could rain in a day or two...there was a food exhibit in Paris...some food artist was being interviewed and questioned about his quirky presentation of food as a house to be eaten...

Doris jumped to attention and nearly knocked over Gemima's cup of awful, murky liquid that the café owner called coffee.

"Calm down," Gemima said reproachfully wiping her shorts with a tissue. "It's a good thing we were served cold coffee or I would have been burned."

"Shush!" Doris said, trying to listen to the radio.

Adam whispered to Gemima, "I think she's lost it. Or is it a faerie power?"

Doris raised a hand to quieten them. The news finished and Doris finally looked up with a beaming smile.

"Great, she's smiling," Adam muttered. "Surely a bad sign."

"Shut up, Adam," Doris said, smiling. "I know where the goodie house is."

"And you know that through some far-seeing faerie power?" Adam asked, clearly not believing Doris.