22. The Day Everything Got Confusing

Começar do início

It was statements like that that made my heart pound. I stared at her awhile as she patiently awaited my reply.

"We were at the park, Ma," Leon said quickly, "Yeah…and when we got home…Hannah was tired. Right, Hannah?"

The glare Leon was giving his sister could kill. It looked like if she were to disagree…death would be imminent.

So with a buttery smile, Hannah looked at her mom. "Yup."

I would later find out that Hannah received two weeks of Leon's allowance and three tubs of moose tracks ice cream. I really like that girl.

"Leon." Leon slowly rose as his father uttered his name. "How is the wood carving and craftsmanship class? Going well?"

I could tell by the way Leon's jaws moved ever so slowly that he was stalling his answer. However, it didn't seem like he was trying to construct a lie. He was just stalling.

"It's fine," he finally muttered, "I got an A on my last project…I…ugh…carved a clock."

"Sounds…good," Eli replied, "Construction is your thing. It shows."

Leon nodded with pursed lips. His eyes were wide, screaming with difference for his father's remark. I could see it, plain and clear.

"Well…you know…" Leon stated after awhile, "My math teacher, Mr. Venderan, says I'm…um…really good with statistics. I mean, he said really good. And well…he said I should consider…business school…and maybe…go into finance."

The strange sort of shine that previously occupied Eli's face had now turned to a grievous scowl. His back reclined in his seat and his eyes were condescending. Leon looked on, breathing hard. Yuri just silently chewed her food, as did Hannah. I did my best to do the same.

"I don't remember you liking math as a kid…" his dad murmured in a lofty manner, "Business would never work for you. Aren't business schools expensive? We could never afford it."

I glimpsed in Leon's direction. His face made my stomach ache.

"Well…he said that if I get it so that my math grades are the highest in the whole school…I qualify for several scholarships…for a lot of schools. So…if I just work hard enough and-"

"That's the definition of pipe-dream. You're becoming an architect. End of story."

Now I gazed at Leon. After his father was finished, he hastily nodded and then turned his eyes to the ground. His hair shaded his misery and discontent.

"Hannah Banana, help Mommy clear the table," Mrs. Mokena fortunately said, clearing the air of its hostility."

Hannah began to steal the left over bacon off her brother's table as Mr. Mokena began to talk to his wife about needing groceries. Leon had finally risen above the surface. His expression was still murky but at least I could tell he was alive.

I felt awkward helping Yuri wash dishes. For some reason, doing chores in other person's house made me feel like I was a part of their family. I was just like everyone else. I was never like anyone else.

I had to stop and gasp when suddenly…a thought came to mind; a horrible thought.

I wanted to be like the Mokena's. But not only like them; I wanted my family to be exactly the same.