(3) Eyes on Him

"Do you know what a leaf say to the other leaf while they fall?"

Laudya snorted and rolled her eyes at the joke Dewi was trying to make. "Don't kid me."

"You're no fun." Pouted Dewi.

"Did I ever say I'm one?"

"At least, let me have some fun." Muttered Dewi.

"Fine," grumbled Laudya as she shoved a mouthful bite from the sandwich she just made. "Probably they'll say, let the wind tell another joke."

"Wrong!" Dewi exclaimed triumphantly, seemed to not care about Laudya's point. "They'll say, see you next fall!"

Dewi laughed at her own joke while Laudya just stared at her like she was insane, with a boring expression settled on her face. She blinked before she shrugged and continued with her breakfast, taking another bite.

"Ha ha ha. Funny." Mumbled Laudya.

Dewi's laughter ceased soon as she realized like she was talking to the wall and she stared at Laudya. "Why aren't you laughing?"

"And what kind of joke is that?"

"Don't tell me off. I get that joke from 76 Jokes That'll Make You Laugh. Probably written by Bill Nichols."

"Don't make things that never exist."

"You know what?"

"I never know."

"You're boring," stated Dewi.

Laudya raised an eyebrow. "So?"

"You're torturing me with that short remarks," grumbled Dewi. "Just get a life, Dia."

Laudya stopped biting her sandwich as she processed what Dewi just said. She looked away, clearly avoiding Dewi's gaze, and sighed. "Well, this is my life," she whispered more to herself.

Dewi winced, finally got the idea that her words before somehow hurt her. She placed her hand on Laudya's in a soft hold. "Dia, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to—"

Laudya painted a smile before said, "Now, where's the fun in that?"

"What?" Dewi deadpanned.

"Come on. You claimed to have some fun before. Now let's have some fun by forgetting my life." Laudya grinned. "It can't be that bad."

Dewi stared at her for a moment. The gaze that locked to her was something that couldn't be read, and was hard for Laudya to learn Dewi's expression. It seemed like empty, very hollow that Laudya couldn't even see the cells or what she was trying to suppress, but it still held concerns within. Besides, it was Dewi's only characteristic that Laudya happened to know, and she was adoring it. It couldn't be found on other people's.

Finally, she smiled.

"You're right," she said. "And I don't think it will be bad."

* * * * *

"So, when are we going to start the discussion?" Maia asked out of nowhere.

Laudya looked up from the book she was reading before to Maia who was standing beside her. Her Biology teacher, Mrs Evi, had given the class the notes on the new topic they had just learnt, and Laudya was trying to understand more. It's not that she was a very hardworking student, or the kind of people who spent their spare time reading school stuff. It was because of the upcoming topical test Mrs Evi would be giving them even when they had just learnt not more than a day.