12: 'THIS LADY REALLY WENT HAM'

Start from the beginning

"Clever..." Grayson echoed. Then his foggy, old mind cleared. "Because if it was something easy to find the agent would've seen it. But if it was something super tightly secured - several firewalls, buried down fake names and firewalls, hide the Terracotta army in there for good measures - then you would've seen it. But because it was a warm middle..."

Minwoo turned, spinning around to the living room in the middle, going through the shelves as if trying to find something, flipping through the books then picking some off.

Grayson shifted slightly, staring at Minwoo and his usual silence. "Look, aren't you going to ask me where I've been? What I've been up... to, I guess? Or if I'm even sober?"

Minwoo met his gaze, his expression carefully blank. "You're sober enough to stand and walk. I don't care what you did or where you've been, I'm assuming you were doing enough jobs in my absence. You're my work partner, Grayson, not my wife."

"Oh." Then he smiled slowly. "Great, man, love you too."

Minwoo made an annoyed groan cross gurgle at the back of his throat. "Come here and put these books down."

Grayson trudged towards him and picked up those around his arms, setting them at the coffee table. Soon, when half of the books are gone on the shelves, Minwoo motioned for him to sit down. "What are these? Did your girlfriend got you into book club?"

"No." He opened a few pages and showed him. "These aren't just books."

Instead of words on a page, book after book - page after page - was filed with notes and pictures, even going as far as blacking out pages to write down noted riddles, dissecting them. Pictures were of criminals or CCTV footage of various people - most of them were, from the detailed notes, common criminals to suspected kidnappers and killers. Most from around town. Others - ones with serial cases - infamous around the country and out.

The things written down on each file - it was straight out of the agent's desk.

"Are these from the prosecutor? He didn't struck me as... an obsessive man who writes on books. I mean. What's wrong with blank paper? Why write on books?" Grayson flipped through them, every book was brimmed. "This is a crime."

"The prosecutor hasn't been here for years," Minwoo said. "He bought the place and left it alone. Every other item, all these case notes - this was done by someone else."

"You know who it is don't you?"

"Who else? Rosalie Jang. She found the place. She was good. Smart enough to become the agent's director. Or if she's going down your route, enough to become a criminal boss." Minwoo opened each book, opening to files specifically - he noticed, were of criminals with kidnapping records. Others were listed sex offenders. Everyone just around the city and close towns. "Rosalie Jang was genius, and when her child was kidnapped, she became obsessive. This is what I found out. Somehow, she found this apartment, listed under her husband's old name - a name she didn't even know - and saw this place. But this isn't everything."

As Minwoo stood up, Grayson almost laughed." Oh, of course because files of rapists aren't enough."

Minwoo went around the TV and pawed at something on top of the shelves, trying to find something on top of it before he found a ring and pulled it down. Out came an entire canvas strapped in more notes - obsessive, greedy notes, and photos of the same woman and a man, a young man that looked mysteriously like Prosecutor Jang.

"Jesus, she's just like you. Obsessive, compulsive, loves murder boards." Grayson stood up and followed the red strings connecting scenarios and people and places. "But damn. Damn. This lady really went ham."