Unfortunate Times

Start from the beginning

"I love you," I say. "And I'll be waiting." Nodding his head, Manik heads out of the house. 

*****

"Did you get in touch with your cousin?" Eva asks, exiting the police station. I shake my head, tapping the phone furiously against my palm. 

"She's not picking up," I reply, letting out a frustrated huff. The look on Eva's face tells me that the situation inside is not going too well, and so I refrain from asking her any questions.

"Bitch," she hisses, roughly dropping her files onto the bench. "She's put up such a strong case in there that no one is even willing to entertain the thought of Manik's innocence for a brief second." My friend begins to pace back and forth. "In their minds the trial has already taken place and the judge has declared him guilty." 

The question that keeps popping up in my head is: why would Alya accuse Manik of such a thing? What does she wish to gain from it all? I will never understand the workings of that woman's mind.

"I wish to see him," I announce. "Will they allow me to do so?" Eva offers me an apologetic smile.

"I'm sorry, Nandini, but they won't allow anyone but Manik's lawyer to see him at the moment." She replies, seating herself on the bench. "If Alya doesn't show up soon, Manik will rot in a cell for the entire night." No. We have promised each other a dinner. With newfound energy, I dial Alya's number once again. And again. And again. 

"Nandini, would you please stop calling me? The ringtone I've set for your calls is just as annoying as you are." Alya says from behind me. I turn on my heels, only to have my hand reach out and land against my cousin's cheek. The mere sight of her has me trembling with rage. Alya is the sole reason why Manik is rotting inside a police station, with no fault of his. 

"What're you trying to achieve?" I ask, splaying my palms across Alya's chest and pushing her back. "By accusing Manik of something we both know he isn't capable of." Sighing, Alya takes off her sunglasses, displaying swollen red eyes.

"Don't push me to charge you with assault as well," Alya says in a monotone. "Or is that what you are aiming for? Both the husband and wife in one cell...an interesting happily ever after." 

"As well?" I repeat, shaking my head. "Cut this drama and speak the truth, Alya. Manik has never even touched a hair on your head." 

"Are you sure about that?" My cousin asks, tilting her head to the side. "Did you know that I went to visit him last night?" This sudden piece of information causes the breath to get knocked out of my lungs. I'm sure Alya sees the surprise on my face, for a malicious smile spreads across hers. "Ah, you didn't." She nods to herself, clearly satisfied at the result her words have achieved. 

"Don't worry, there was no special reason behind my visit," she continues. "It was the same old, I want money, please give it to me for old time's sake. I can't say the same for your husband though. He had other plans. Manik first refused to give me the sum I wanted, but then he lay down a condition. If I helped him out sexually, then he would hand over double the amount I'd asked for." Sniffing, Alya lowers her eyes towards the ground. I follow her gaze, a surprised gasp escaping my lips. My cousin - the woman who has never touched a shalwar kameez in her life, much less thought of buying one - is currently wearing one. 

"You bitch," I curse, bewildered at just how low Alya can stoop. Her head jerks upwards to face me, eyes wide. I guess she didn't think I was capable of cursing her out in such a manner. "Good God," I scoff in amazement. "You deserve an Oscar. In fact, you don't just deserve one for your acting, but also for costume designing." Shaking my head in amazement, I begin to clap my hands together. "I must say, it's a job well done, Alya."