10. Assemble

10. Assemble

"Holding down the fort, ma'am?" Nao called out soggily to the female teacher impatiently tapping beats at the windowsill.

"That Karasuma told me to stay," Irina growled rebelliously, " treating me as if I'm something feral, how dare he!"

Nao let out a hearty laugh, dropping his bottle on the table and pulling out a chair.

The kids were down the hill, hanging by main campus for what was their once-in-a-month school assembly. Karasuma had followed after as their chaperone and representative homeroom teacher, but he had given the female teacher stern reminders to not go down.

"What about you, not going?" Irina cast a cold glance over.

Nao raised an eyebrow at that. Irina hadn't much talked to him after their very first conversation-- one of an uninterested assassin speaking to a gullible civilian-- so to think irina was bringing up a conversation to him?

Irina had slowly transitioned into being a part of the class, but her first impression with Naomasa was one thing she had yet to fix. Maybe this was her first step.

"I won't be able to make the trip down and back up, so," Nao sighed, "I thought I'd join our mollusc friend for a chat of some sort, but he's nowhere to be seen either."

Irina hummed, not too amused. It was normal and boring, mundane. Did Kunomasu Naomasa ever have anything interesting going on with his life?

With a speedy octopus, a government combat agent and a high-class assassin as teachers, the normalcy of this teacher was something that stood out like a sore thumb. It was debatable if he even was necessary in their course. After all, with the careful balance of student-assassin teacher-target relationship in this school, Naomasa's presence may end up toppling the scales.

"Wait--" the thought suddenly hit her, "where's the squid?"

"He's an octopus, Ms Jelavic," Nao perked up lazily, eating something with a spoon-- was that ice cream? Where'd he get that-- "and I said, I couldn't find him, so,"

"He RAN!!" it hit her like a screaming train. When did that happen? Well, she wasn't exactly in charge of looking after the target but still, she was told to stay home why did he get to go-- "that's unfair! I'm going down there too!"

"For all we know, he could've just made a run to Bohemia or something, but--" Naomasa mumbled after the woman who was stomping right out the door, "--and, she's gone."

  ー  

Taking another scoop of the strawberry ice cream he stole from Korosensei's ice box stash, he hummed, finding the situation all but amusing.

This situation seemed familiar. Oh, is this the episode that--

"Oh! what's that, Kuma-sensei?" Karma came hanging by the window, leaning over casually as he cheerfully piped up.