11. Absence

It wasn't hard to notice him gone

Nearly two minutes into Korosensei's unnecessary duplication techniques, Kanzaki Yukiko found the lack of a teacher unnerving.

"Is... Kuma-sensei off work today?" she asked, raising her hand hesitantly. 

Despite his poor health, Kanzaki fails to remember a day in the main building where Kunomasu Naomasa missed a day of work. Not even for a sick leave... or perhaps it was just her that didn't notice. The teacher never missed classes much.

"About that, I'm not so sure," Korosensei turned, all of his heads turning in the direction of the girl, erecting a few squeaks, "there's been no contact from him."

"Did he run?" Maehara jokingly suggested.

"Playing truant?" Nakamura chuckled, "well, he seems the type!"

"Or maybe he got tired of us fools," Terasaka groaned.

"Hey, hey, Kuma-sensei isn't that kind of person!" Sugino responded, almost offended. "He's a nice person."

Muramatsu scoffed, "nice person, but still a member of the faculty under that principal."

"C'mon, guys, he's probably just stuck halfway up the mountain again," Kimura sighed, resigned at the passive argument going on behind him.

"Or a family emergency?" Yada suggested, "or maybe those checkups he's always complaining about."

"He would've contacted Karasuma-sensei for that, right?" Nagisa was beginning to doubt, too, "maybe he got caught up somewhere again..."

"What if his heart acted up again?" Isogai sounded concerned, "that'd be disastrous--"

"Now, now!" Korosensei raised his voice a little above the commotion, all doubles raising a finger to shush the students, "I'm sure he's alright. I've had Karasuma-san locate him for the moment, so let's get back to our cram session, shall we?"

Unease was still settled around-- it was strange without him around. He left early from classes plenty of times, or showed up late, but none of the students really thought much about it, knowing the teacher had a health issue to be concerned for.

Kanzaki Yukiko fingered the cover of a book under her desk, a little forlorn. Well, she guessed the story she wanted to share with him would have to wait.

  ー  

It wasn't until later, when their principal (making an unexpected visit to see Mr billion bounty octopus) told them about Kuma-sensei's hospitalisation, that they found out the reason behind his absence.

It was easy to forget that Naomasa was a crippled man. That he couldn't do many things an average adult man could do. Karasuma may have given them a false hope of normalcy, but the truth lay in the fact the man was a prime military agent.