32. Incurable

32. Incurable

"Man, where have you been this whole day, Kuma-sensei?" Okano whined, setting her hands on the teacher's shoulders.

Nao chuckled, "sorry," he said, "I fell asleep in my room and I just woke up."

"Seriously? But it's summer vacation!" Kurahashi said, like it was some sort of crime.

"It's because it's summer vacation," Nao corrected her, "when else will I get undisturbed rest for four hours straight?"

"At night sir, on a bed, preferably at least six to eight," Yada responded in a monotone.

Nao swirled his drink in his glass for a moment before taking a contemplative sip. "I'd usually agree, but the comment sections of some previous chapters apparently beg to differ. Haven't you heard, insomnia is in right now."

"You don't get to talk about what's 'in' when you're wearing that bandanna on your head, sir," Maehara walked over, having heard the tail end of the conversation. "Why is it bear-themed?"

Nao hummed. His tank top and unbuttoned hoodie combination was decent enough, but the brown bear-patterned headband was just culture shock for everyone.

"I was too lazy to gel my hair, and I needed to be attentive so I couldn't leave my bangs down," was his explanation. "So the headband."

"But why a bear?!"

Isogai chuckled dryly, "Kuma-sensei, everything you own has a bear on it, huh."

He cast Terasaka's gang a look-- and sure enough, their phones still had the pink teddy bear keychain on them.

Nao smiled at that. "Nah, those are different-- I bought them as a joke," he shrugged, "everything I own that has a bear on it," he pointed at the headband, "I got them for Teacher's Appreciation Day, so I had to use them somehow."

"Wow, you're popular."

"Don't teachers usually get stationery or flowers?"

"Sometimes I wish I did," Nao admitted, folding his hand under his chin as he reminisced miserably, "I can only handle so many stuffed bears and love confessions a year before PTA lodges complaints against me."

"The terrifying Kuma-sensei strikes again."

"The ikemen wars continue..."

"I kinda feel sorry for the Board Chairman and I didn't think that was ever possible."

Dinner was luxurious and served atop a cruise. The sun had set when Nao finally woke up, leaving him nothing but unexpected wakenness and an empty feeling inside his chest from wasting a good chunk of such a beautiful day just sleeping.