Chapter 5

The Clan huddled around Tawnyspots's dead body. They were sharing tongues with him one last time.
Spottedpaw smiled a little. "Finally. That coughing flea bag has gone. We are now rid of him and his sickness." Spottedpaw thought.
She saw Sunstar leap onto the Highrock. He didn't need to call the meeting, for everyone was here after hearing the death of Tawnyspots.
"Tawnyspots was an honourable and loyal deputy. It makes me feel more sad for him because he was dying for days, making him suffer for a long time. But I'm glad he's in Starclan now, free from his pain and sickness." Sunstar mewed, hanging his head to his old comrade.
The Clan stood silent for a few moments. But Spottedpaw rolled her amber eyes. "Good riddance. He was only a normal deputy. Why are they making such a big deal out of his death?" she thought.
"And now it's time to announce the new deputy." Sunstar mewed.
Spottedpaw glanced over to Thistleclaw.
"Please make him deputy." she thought.
"I say these words before the body of Tawnyspots, so his spirit may hear and approve my choice." Sunstar mewed, looking up at the sky.
"Please." Spottedpaw thought.
Sunstar paused for a moment.
"Bluefur will be the new Thunderclan deputy!" Sunstar mewed.
Spottedpaw bristled. "No." she thought. She looked over to Bluefur, who was looking at Sunstar with warmth in her blue eyes as she padded onto the Highrock. "No! She can't be deputy! Thistleclaw should be deputy!" Spottedpaw thought.
"Thank you, Sunstar, for choosing me as deputy. I promise to lead this Clan with the same courage as Tawnyspots did." Bluefur mewed, dipping her head to the Thunderclan leader with pride in her eyes.
Spottedpaw swallowed a growl. "Lies! Thistleclaw should have been a better choice! He would've been a better deputy than you!" Spottedpaw thought.
Spottedpaw looked over to Thistleclaw, who's head was hung, eyes shut angrily. She padded over to him and ran her tail down his spine. "I'm sorry that you weren't made deputy. You would have been a better deputy for sure." Spottedpaw mewed gently to him as she pressed against him.
He ignored her and pulled away. Spottedpaw felt hurt. "Your comfort doesn't make me feel better. Stop trying to act like everything's okay." Thistleclaw growled at her.
Thistleclaw's words stung Spottedpaw like thorns. "I-I know, but..." Spottedpaw started to mew.
She shut her mouth as he shot her an angry look. Spottedpaw winced from his gaze as though her muzzle was clawed.
"Oh. I see. Comforting me because you think we'll be future mates, huh? Well guess what? I said I WOULD have been your mate, not that I WANT to!" Thistleclaw hissed.
Spottedpaw stared at him, her amber eyes full of hurt and tears. "But...I thought..." she mewed.
"You thought wrong!" Thistleclaw growled before stomping away out of camp.
Spottedpaw started sobbing as she ran into the apprentice den and curled up, ignoring her Clanmates on congratulating Bluefur. She tuned out the world as darkness infolded her, eventually giving her in to sleep.