Chapter 9

The clearing was littered with injured cats. Sunstar was in the medicine den. He was struggling for breath. Spottedpaw knew he was on his last life. "And if he does, that blue-furred dung will be leader." she thought, growling under her breath as she applied spiderwebs to his wounds.
              It's been two moons since Spottedpaw killed Thrushpelt and Sunstar declared war on Riverclan. Featherwhisker padded into the medicine den. "Sunstar's going to be alright, right?" Spottedpaw mewed.
             Featherwhisker shrugged. "Well, we all have to go sometime. But we'll do what we can to heal him." Featherwhisker mewed. Spottedpaw mewed.
             Spottedpaw turned her head to Sunstar. "Are you alright, Sunstar?" Spottedpaw mewed. Sunstar seemed barely awake, but he looked up to Spottedpaw and sighed. "I don't think I can make it. I'm slipping away." Sunstar rasped.
             "Not on my watch." Spottedpaw mewed. She got poppy seeds. "Here. These will ease your pain while we tend to your wounds. It will also help you sleep." Spottedpaw mewed.
              Sunstar licked the poppy seeds and yawned. Featherwhisker padded up to her. "You're doing great. Just as I'd expect from my apprentice." Featherwhisker purred.
              Spottedpaw smiled at him. "Y'know, I'm starting to get tired of calling you Spottedpaw." he mewed.
              Spottedpaw stared at him. Featherwhisker purred. "I think it's time for you to be a full medicine cat." Featherwhisker mewed.
             Spottedpaw's amber eyes sparkled. "Really?" she mewed. "Of course! You heal cats very well, even without my supervision." he purred.
             Spottedpaw looked at him gratefully and licked his cheek. Spottedpaw looked back at Sunstar. He was squirming around and groaning. Spottedpaw bristled. "Something's wrong!" she thought.
             "Sunstar? What is it? Where does it hurt?" Spottedpaw mewed. Sunstar didn't seem to hear her. He was staring at the roof of the den. "Starclan...they're calling me..." he whispered. He gasped and went limp.
             Spottedpaw stared in shock. She put her paw on his throat. She felt no pulse. "He's...dead..." she mewed. She felt Featherwhisker's soft tail running down her back. "No. Now Bluefur is going to be leader!" Spottedpaw thought.