Chapter 18

Chapter 18

The summer was coming to an end and I decided to forgo attending an actual college and to do my coursework online. I wasn't sure what I wanted to major in anyway so I was probably better off. Beside Gavin had give my access to his private library which contained books that had the history and customs of werewolves so I had been spending a lot of time studying those. I'd take a few books at a time and hang out at the beach house during the day and just read. Sometimes Denver would show up with one of the other pack members but lately I had been so closed off to everyone that he didn't even bother.

I was too worried about the council's decision to want to spend time around anyone, I even avoided my mom and Reid as much as I could. She complained about how much time I spent out of the house, but I was so confused with my own life that I didn't want to involve anyone.

One day I was laying out on the deck at the beach house with a book about the moon goddess when I large shadow fell over me. I put the put down and looked up to find Gavin staring down at me. I felt slightly uncomfortable especially since I was in a bikini and a pair of denim shorts.

"Hi." I said and gave him a small smile.

"You seem to basically live here these days, Denver has been complaining about how much time you spend out here. He asked me to revoke your privileges, so you would spend more time with him." He explained.

"So, are you here to take my keys?" I asked trying to keep my tone playful but nervous he would give in to Denver's demands.

"Well since you spending more time with Denver makes me uncomfortable and I know how much you like being here I came here with an offer." He replied and I felt like he was dangling a carrot in my face waiting for grab at it.

"You just don't like Denver touching me. So what's this offer?" I said and put the book down on the table beside me and sat up. He sat in a chair in front of me and let out a little sigh.

"True I don't like when Denver touches you, when he finds his mate eventually, he's not going to like how much she hates you."

"Now your stalling Alpha." I teased.

"My offer is for you to move in here, you basically live here anyway. I know you only go home to sleep and sometimes to eat but for the most part you spend the majority of your time here. I even saw you leave here at 3am once and it makes me nervous having you walk around the territory that late." He said and he had a nervous smile on his face.

"You're really going to let me live here?" I asked, it was like Christmas morning and he had given me the greatest present of all.

"If you want to, yes." He said nodding.

"I accept. You should prepare for Denver's wrath, he's going to be so pissed at you." I laughed, and Gavin just leaned back in his chair, "Anything to keep that wolf away from you." He growled. I got up and hugged him, I was beyond excited that I could get out of my mother's house and now I could concentrate on school and reading all these books from Gavin's library.

I spent the next 2 days moving my stuff into the beach house, I took the bigger of the two guests rooms leaving the master bedroom for Gavin just in case. It was still his house I was basically just staying here for an extended period of time. He stopped by after I moved my stuff in to see how I was settling in and was surprised to see I had not taken the master suite. I explained it was his room but he just shrugged and told me I was more than welcome to take the room. I told him I left it so if he felt the need to spend more time at the beach house that he still had a place to call his own. He actually started to spend more time out here now that I had moved in, yet sometimes after spending a few days with me he would disappear for a few days and avoid me which always made me slightly sad. It was almost as if he was afraid of getting too close to me. Yet again I was a constant reminder of him not having his mate so maybe he had a good reason to keep his distance.

Finally Denver decided he was going to come bother me at the beach house again and as much as he sometimes annoyed me I always enjoyed my time with him.

"Oh Sam! You're favorite person is here to see you!" He called from the front door one afternoon.

"I'm in the kitchen!" I called back.

"You better be making something delicious." He grumbled and I heard him start walking toward the kitchen. I was currently moving the cookies I just baked to a plate when he rushed towards me and grabbed one.

"Oh I knew you wouldn't let me down, oh my god these are amazing! I'm taking them all, pack them up!" he demanded, and I laughed and shooed him away from the plate.

"These are my cookies, I'll share a few but you're not eating them all." I said sternly giving him my most serious glare.

"Uh your no fun anymore, between living here and spending all that time with the Alpha you all weird." He said while pouting.

"Oh please I'm tons of fun, just busy. I told you that you are always welcome here yet you don't like coming out here."

"Yeah because I never know when Gavin will be here and you seem to prefer his company more than mine these days." I grumbled out and grabbed another cookie and made his way to the couch.

"I do really like his company, but you know I'm wasting my time. I'm just a child to him, a broken child." I whispered and Denver looked up at me with a sad look, he didn't pity me but my situation made him sad, it made anyone who knew about it sad. It was so unnatural for wolves not to be with their mates so it was a feeling they didn't understand. That's why I think Gavin spent times with me, I was the only person he knew would understand his pain which is why I think we continued to gravitate towards each other.

"I used to believe that, but I don't know Sam I think it might be more than that. I even told him I was coming out here today and he told me he would be coming out here by 4pm so I should find something else to do before then. He definitely doesn't see you as a child, age with werewolves is of little importance since we live much longer than humans, besides your not some immature teenage girl. If you were I definitely wouldn't hang out with you, I'd avoid you like the plague. "He said with a fake gag.

"Denver if I tell you something will you promise not to say anything to anyone and not to tease me for the rest of my life?" I said tentatively and walked over to the couch he was sitting down and sat down.

"I can promise the first thing but the second part no such luck Sammie, I live for teasing you as you do with me." he said and looked at me expectantly. I let of a sigh knowing I was just going to have to say it or he was never going to let it go so I'd have to live with the never-ending teasing.

"I think I'm falling in love with the Alpha..." I said barely above a whisper and I looked down at my hands in my lap not able to see Denver's reaction to my confession. I felt him put his hand under my chin and lift it so he could look me in the eye.

"Sammie I kind of figured that out weeks ago. I think maybe you should tell him instead of me. If he doesn't feel the same way let him say it now before you waste your time pining away for another Alpha who will never reciprocate your feelings." He said and I nodded sadly and I felt the tears build up in my eyes but I was trying not to let them fall. I didn't want to cry over this but I knew what Denver was saying was true. Why should I waste my time and feelings when I could rip the band aid off and just on now instead of later. Before I could say anything else there was a knock at the door and then I heard the door opening.

"That's him, I'll let myself out. See you soon Sam..." he said quietly and got up.