Chapter 11

I couldn't remember if I enjoyed the sound of screams as much as I did now. The sound was like music to my ears. The mix of yokai screams and wolf howls and the crunching of teeth to bone sounded quite calming. I saw Akura-ou enjoying himself by fighting along with the wolves. We found a fairly large group of yokai that were absolutely hostile towards us and maybe a nearby human village and decided that they were the best treats for my wolves. The smile on his face was priceless and it kind of made me want to join in on the fun as well. "Okari! Why are you just standing around there? Have some fun once in a while!" he said, waving his yokai bloodsoaked hands at me. He looked so childish and adorable and I did feel like my joints were locking up from lack of excercise.

I unsheathed my sword and cut down the remaining yokai, throwing the pieces to my hungry pack. I danced around as I cut down any yokai that stood in my way, it felt satisying and I felt as if I was dancing on air. I felt free. Akura-ou grabbed my free hand and he twirled me around while my blade cut through several yokai at once but they just kept charging. We may have bitten off more than we could chew but I wasn't worried. I didn't care, it distracted me from the pain of the sharp remnants of my heart digging into my ribs and my lungs. I jumped into the air, bouncing from one giant yokai head to another, cutting it off in the process.

I became careless for one second and I was swatted to the ground by one of the giant yokai. I groaned in pain and I heard Akura-ou call out to me. A few seconds later the giant screamed in pain when his arm was cut off. I felt my head being nestled by a pair of arms. His red eyes met mine and I saw that he was furrowing his eyebrows in worry. I cupped his cheeks with my palms and pulled his head towards me, pressing his lips to mine. He eventually kissed back, it was rough and assertive but it held a spark. I still felt that something was missing, that something wasn't right but before I could dwell on it further, he pulled back and licked his lips and I just smirked. "Stop worrying so much... it takes more than a giant to keep me down" he chuckled while I giggled.

He wrapped his arm around my back then put his other arm under my knees, sweeping me off of my feet. All of the yokai were gone and my wolves howled in delight with full bellies. "Now let's get you all cleaned up. We can't go home looking like a mess" he smiled widely, showing off his pointy teeth and I just giggled. "I know the perfect place for a relaxing bath but first, we have to wash off all the yokai blood. It would be rude to just go there like this"

<><><>

I bathed in the moonlight, the lake's waters felt cold against my skin. I had shed my kimono so I could wash off the blood and once I was done with it, I laid it on the shore to dry in the wind while I washed myself. My ears twitched and I threw a dagger at the direction of the noise. It hit the tree he was leaning on, just right above his head. "Hi Okari..." he said, waving at me. I felt my tail frizz up in annoyance. I covered myself up as best I could before leaving the lake and walking towards him. "Akura-ou~" I cooed and I was confident that I saw him shiver. He was nervous and I liked it. "You know...I love you... but that doesn't mean you can spy on me while I bathe" I circled around him, flicking my tail close to his chin. Teasing him but somehow, my heart felt a little heavy when I said those three words. It was soon replaced with pure amusement at seeing him struggle. Not only did I almost skewer him, I also bound him to the tree with my magic.

"O-okay...I-I apologise for spying on you-"

"And?"

"And...for being childish and a pervert"

"Good-" I picked up my kimono and got dressed "Now let's go to the hot springs. I haven't been there in a while" I grabbed him by the arm, breaking the enchantment, and took him to my favorite place in the world. I took him to the Tanuki Inn. "Ah! Welcome back Lady Okari!" the tanuki girl up front greeted me then she looked to Akura-ou then back to me, she was smiling. "I see you brought someone with you...Who might this be?" I was quite astonished that she couldn't recognise him. Akura-ou was the most feared yokai in all of Japan. I guess not many know what he really looks like, they just know the name.  "Okari? Are you alright?" I was jolted back to the present when I heard his voice. "Yes...Can you please take us to the outdoor hot springs?" the girl nodded and she led the way.

The hot spring was divided into two, one for the males and the other for the females. Akura-ou pouted when he realised that we would have to separate. He was childish but that was one of the things that made him cute and I liked that about him. I giggled and lightly kissed him on the cheek, "Don't worry...we'll see each other once we're done. Until then, enjoy the hot springs. Even someone like you needs to relax every once in a while. Try not to think too much of me"

"You know that's impossible especially when you're just on the other side of a bamboo wall. I could easily jump over it and-" I glared daggers at him, hovering my hand over the hilt of my sword. He chuckled nervously and scratched the nape of his neck. "I-I was just kidding...I will see you later then" then he ran into the male part of the hot springs in a rush. I giggled and went into the female part of the hot springs. Yes...I will see you later.

<><><>

I was done soaking in the hot springs and was changing my clothes when I heard noise coming from outside. I thought nothing of it until I heard the voices of Akura-ou and...

I rushed outside to see Akura-ou and that fox wrestling each other. "You know full well that that wasn't what it looked like!"

"Then what did it look like?!"

"She threw herself at me!"

"Why didn't you resist her?! I was ready to give up on Okari because I thought you really cared about her...but you...you cheated on her. I will never let her get hurt even if I have to eliminate everyone and everything that hurt her!" Akura-ou was tackled to the ground, Tomoe's claws were digging into his neck.

"I didn't mean-!"

"Enough!" I yelled, kicking Tomoe away from him. I unsheathed my sword and pointed it at Tomoe as soon as he got up. "Keep your filthy claws off of him!" I screamed, enchanting my sword so it would point itself at Tomoe while I helped Akura-ou. "O-Okari..." I heard him mumble weakly. "Shhh~ It's okay..." I whispered while I touched the deep wounds on his neck. He winced, I had never seen him in so much pain before. I knew he was immortal but I also knew that he still felt pain and this was the first time I ever saw him struggle so much. I placed my palms on his wounds "Okari! Don't!" Tomoe exclaimed but I ignored him. He had no right to tell me what to do. I focused all of my energy into my palms, I felt Akura-ou wrap his hand around my wrists. He was trying to push my palms away.

"O-Okari...D-don't...I w-will h-heal..." 

"I know-" I kissed his forehead gently "but I hate seeing you suffer." I focused all of my energy on healing his wounds. He struggled, trying to push my hands away but I remained firm until I was sure that his wounds were fully healed. When it was over, my whole body felt weak and I breathed heavily from exhaustion. "Okari... I didn't mean for this to happen... you have to listen to me, please" I heard Tomoe's voice and I felt him try to grab my arm. I grabbed my sword and pointed the tip right at his neck. "Stay...*huff* away from us..." I managed to say before my body fell against Akura-ou's. He was alright and he was sitting up, my head was resting on his lap. I could see the fury in his eyes, they were like fire swirling in his pupils.

"D-don't show me that look. Y-you're not the only one who recovers quickly" I cupped his cheek with my hand while he glared fiercely at Tomoe. "Say no more...I-I know when I am not wanted. Goodbye...Okari..." his voice held so much sadness and remorse that it almost hurt me as well. Tomoe... Why is it that even after all that has happened, the shattered pieces of my heart still crumble when I hear your voice? That after all the times I've spent trying to forget my feelings for you, the remnants of my heart still refuse to forget you. Tomoe...I really am a stupid mongrel for loving a deceitful fox like you. I will not give in...I-I. H-Hate. Foxes.

Author's Note:

Wow! I'm quite proud of myself. I managed to write and publish this chapter just a day after I published the last chapter. Anyway, I hope you liked this chapter. I hope to see all of you lovely readers in the next one! Bye!

~Rei