Chapter 8

As promised, I returned two days later to greet Lady Yukiji a final goodbye before she went off to the capital to get married but, I didn't stop there. I followed her along her journey to make sure she made it there safely. I hid my prescence from her all the while I got rid of anyone who dared to touch her before she even realised she was in danger. I didn't care if it was a human or a yokai, I cut down anyone in my path just so I could protect her. So I could protect my dearest friend. Tomoe was probably not going to like the fact that I was protecting a human or that I was putting myself in danger to protect one but he was the least of my concerns as of now. We finally reached the very edge of the forest and just ahead a dirt road was the capital. She pulled on the reigns of her horse, forcing it to stop and I became alert.

Did she sense something? Is she in danger? "You can come out now, I know you've been following me" she said and my ears twitched. She actually sensed my prescence? She turned her head towards my direction and I hid further into the shadows of the tree I was sitting on. She was smirking with a dangerous gleam in her eyes. Though she was human, her aura was dense enough to scare away low level yokai. "If you are not going to show yourself then you might as well leave me be. I have nothing valuable with me to attract the interest of bandits but if you are a yokai trying to get an easy meal then...I'm sorry to disappoint. I am not as delicate as I appear to be" it was clear to me that that was a threat and yet...I wasn't threatened because I knew that it wasn't directed at me. I came to a conclusion that she wouldn't let me follow her even if I successfully managed to hide my prescence again. I came to realise that her senses were sharper compared to a normal human so I revealed myself to her. My human self, that is.

"Okimi!" she exclaimed with disbelief while I fidgeted with discomfort. "W-what are you doing here? Why did you follow me? Don't you know it's dangerous out here?" I walked towards her slowly as to not spook her horse. "I-I'm sorry but...I was worried that you'd be in danger so I...followed you. Please don't send me back..." she smiled warmly at me then she shook her head while she chuckled to herself. "Alright...I'll let you tag along but don't leave my side" I nodded frantically at her. That was all I needed.

We walked to town while I accompanied her. Although she would never believe me, I will protect her. We finally reached the castle where Lady Yukiji's husband to be lived. "Lady Yukiji! I'm glad you are alright. I was quite worried..." a man wearing an expensive kimono ran up to Lady Yukiji with a frantic and worried expression then he turned to me and he became confused. "Uhm...Who is this? Is she your guardian?" the man asked, looking at my sword. I was going to answer him but Lady Yukiji interrupted me. "Heavens no...she's my friend, she wanted to accompany me so I let her tag along" I shrugged my shoulders. "Well...since you made it here safely, I'll be going back then. I wish you both a happy marriage" I was about to walk out of the gates when I felt something that alarmed me.

I immediately drew my katana, a low growl escaping my lips. Someone was here and they didn't seem friendly. I suddenly heard screams in the distance and I ran outside to inspect what was going on. Bandits. They were invading the capital and they were headed straight for the castle. "Okimi! What's going on?" Yukiji asked, frantic. "Stay here! Close the gates and don't open them until I say so!" I said to the guards as I ran farther and farther away from the castle. My blood was raging and my ears and tail were threatening to pop out but I knew that couldn't happen, not when I'm surrounded by all of these people and especially not when Lady Yukiji was nearby.

I stopped just infront of them, preparing my sword. I may look like a human but I still have my yokai strength. They all stopped their horses and stared at me with lustful gazes. "Well well well...these people were so afraid that they sent us the most beautiful of them as an offering!" they all laughed, their leader getting down from his high horse to 'claim his prize'. I smirked and pulled my sword out, pointing the tip near his throat. "Sorry to disappoint but, I'm no offering. I'm here to dispose of you lot" he snickered. "You? Get rid of us? You're as beautiful and as delicate as a poppy...what could you possibly do to all of us?" his whole group laughed at me. It seems that humans have an idiotic habit of underestimating a pretty face.