Prologue

"I'll name you Okari! Come here Okari!" a young man said while he tried to give me some food. I was cowering and I was cornered. I had sustained injuries from my last meeting with the humans and I couldn't run away. All I could do at that moment was growl and bare my teeth at him. "Don't be scared, I won't hurt you. I promise" he said with a gentle tone and a calming smile. I hesitantly walked closer to him, trying to figure out if he was a threat or not. His smile was bright and kind and that reassured me. He seemed like a very kind person, unlike the other humans that tried to kill me before. He reached forward which made me step back a little but then he patted my head and stroked my fur gently. It calmed me. Once he was done, he nudged the food closer to me and I ate it all. He chuckled while he watched me eat, all the while stroking my back. "You must've been hungry huh? You're such a beautiful and gentle wolf, why would anyone hurt you like this" he mumbled, wondering about what happened before he found me. 

He was the one who saved me from the angry villagers. They were chasing me down and throwing rocks and shooting arrows at me while I was in my wolf form. I wasn't even bothering them and it wasn't me who killed the cow, it was another yokai but just because I happened to be passing by, they immediately assumed that it was my fault. Whenever I was in my wolf form, I usually got mixed reactions from humans but not once in my life did I ever imagine that one would even dare to get closer to me, let alone pet me. 

"There you go girl...how about you stay with me for the night? There are alot of scary yokai out here, especially at night and you're in no good shape to wander around at night with those injuries. Here...I'll treat them for you" he said with a gentle gaze. I was still a bit hesitant to trust this human so I made a plan that once he was done tending to my wounds, I would run as far away from him as I could. When I was done formulating my plan, I felt something heavy at the pit of my stomach. I recognised the feeling but I quickly shook it away.

"This is going to hurt a little. I have to pull the arrows out so the wounds can close up on their own" he warned me then he pulled out the first arrow and I yelped and jumped then I began to growl at him but it didn't discourage him from helping me. "It'll be over soon Okari, just hang in there" he whispered sweet words to me to help calm me down while he removed all of the arrows. I tried to hold in a whine but there were a few that managed to slip out of my snout. The pain was too much and I felt like I was going to faint but the human kept telling me to hold on. Finally, all the arrows were gone and all that was left was to add some herbs then wrap it in a bandage. When he was adding the herb paste, it stung a little and I growled at him again but he only chuckled then stroked my fur and continued.

This human was toying with me and I didn't like it. I glared intensely at him while he bandaged my wounds. "There...all done. Now let's go, we have to find a good place to stay before nightfall" he said, standing up and gathering his things. I growled and bared my teeth at him again but he wasn't afraid. There's something seriously wrong with this human.

I heard a whistle and he was calling me. "Come on Okari! We have to find a place to set up camp for the night" he said and I sighed internally, it couldn't hurt to followe him right? He did help me. I walked over to him and started to follow him. "Oh! My name is Riku, I almost forgot to introduce myself" he chuckled. Something within me felt warm and my chest felt like it was tightening. Night fell and we set up a small camp in the forest near a lake. Riku made a fire while I sat down and looked up at the stars. We ate a small meal, he even shared his food with me then Riku went to sleep. I couldn't describe what I was feeling for this young man but...it made my heart skip a beat everytime I thought about it. I walked through some bushes and sat near the shoreline of the lake.

The moon was full and I couldn't help but bask in its light. I looked around, making sure that no one was watching then I transformed into my real form. I set my black and white kimono aside and decided to take a dip in the lake. I removed the bandages, my wounds were already healed. The good thing about being a wolf yokai is that I have enhanced healing abilities and are slightly immune to most harmful poisons and venom and I also have the enhanced sense of smell and hearing like a wolf as well as other abilities common with other yokai like being able to jump really high and seemingly glide through the air like I was flying.