t h i r t e e n

When Adrian had told him that his sister would do strange things; he did not think he meant she might glow in her sleep

When Adrian had told him that his sister would do strange things; he did not think he meant she might glow in her sleep. He was expecting her appetite to change and maybe her moods. Not sudden magical puberty.

He didn't think her hair would turn a light pink in the sun. He did not think she would give off a naturally occurring light floral scent that attracted bees and apparently men as well.

So, he was forced to constantly watch over her and pin her down in the house when she was trying to make a getaway to wherever she kept mumbling about. He suspected it was the beach Adrian had instructed him to take her. 

But it was too soon. It wasn't rainy and there wasn't any thunder. It also wasn't dark. And he was scared something would happen to Bailey if he even decided to get her to the beach to soon.

"Dad, its happening. This is crazy," Presley mumbled as he finally got Bailey locked in her room. "How do you know about this anyway and not mom?"

"I've been through a lot of strange things through my life time son. You just learn to go with the flow of things eventually," Kingsley said nonchalantly.

"So you're okay with your daughter turning into some weird creature?"

"I mean... I'm not mad. But I'm not totally okay with it. I know it means she's going to attract trouble. The prophecy said tha-"

"Woah woah woahhh. Prophecy? There's a prophecy now?"

"Ugh, forget about that. It's a lot to take in at one time. We just need to ma-"

A large crash and then a squeal cut them off so they quickly burst into Bailey's room.

"What's happening?" Bailey's voice came from behind a puff of almost glittery halo dust. "I sneezed and that happened."

Presley stared mesmorized at the small puff of shimmer. It was really pretty.

"Wait son. Don't breathe it in directly."

"Too late," Presley said as a sudden wave of sleepiness hit him. "I need my bed." He dropped to the soft lavender carpet of Bailey's carpet and immediately fell asleep.

Kingsley had a feeling he knew what his daughter was supposed to be transforming into but he decided to keep his thoughts to himself.

"Bailey Jane?"

"Yes papa?"

"Put on some dark clothing. It should help with the side effects."

"Ughhh, okay." She searched all the way to the back of her closet until she found a dark blue really long hoodie. She slipped into it, though she did not remember where it had come from. She hardly ever wore dark clothing. It had a familiar smell however, though she could not pick it up.

"Is Presley okay?" she asked as she cuddled into the warmth of the hoodie.

"Yup. He's just sleeping. He should wake up soon feeling energized."

"Okay," she giggled. "As long as I didn't kill him."

▪¤▪¤▪

It was finally dark and the bags were packed. Now that Presley was awake, Bailey was asleep and she hardly stirred as he carried her to the car.

Presley gently set her in the back seat of the car and squeezed his eyes shut im fear that she'd wake up.

It was better that she was sleeping because when she was awake, her body did strange things.

Presley buckled himself in before slowly backing out of the driveway and he began driving through the empty streets towards the beach in the middle of no where.

He tapped his fingers over the steering wheel to the beat of the song playing quietly from the radio as he drove out of a quiet neighborhood.

A tiny groan came from the backseat and so he glanced in the rear view mirror. 

"How you doing back there Bee?"

She yawned and stretched her small limbs out, her body was basically engulfed in the huge hoodie. 

Presley had always wondered if she was adopted because she was the only one with ginger and copper hair. He had brown hair like his mom and Kingsley had black hair with a few blond streaks in it. She was also much shorter than either one of them. Her being only 5'0 and the rest of them were 5'9 and taller. Also, she was the only one with green eyes in the family and Presley always asked about and began to wonder if their mom had had an affair but both his parents just said that she was a special girl and had gotten their great grandparents wonderful genes.

"My body hurts a little," she said quietly as she snuggled deeper into the warmth of the hoodie.

"Maybe you have the flu. Here, lean forward real quick," he said as he twisted his arm to reach into the back of the car.

She leaned forward so he could feel her forehead and he frowned as his hand met her hot skin.

"Bailey, you're burning up. We'll stop at a gas station so we can get you some water okay."

"Okay."

"Go back to sleep. We'll be there soon."