Chapter 23 - Brave New World

Chapter 23:

It was the middle of the night at the Mystic Falls hospital. Visiting hours were over and only a few nurses were still there watching over the patients, who were all fast asleep. Caroline being one of them.

Caroline woke up with a start. She looks around and surveys her environment. Nothing seems out of place.

She isn't aware of any change. All she is aware of is the hunger. She's so hungry. She exits her hospital room in search for food.

The only person in sight was a nurse sitting behind a desk. Her finger danced across her keyboard. The nurse didn't look up as she approached. Caroline cleared her throat to get her attention.

"Excuse me? Where is everyone?" Caroline asks, when the nurse didn't notice her.

"It's the middle of the night honey." She said without glancing up.

"It is?" Caroline looked around. She finally noticed how dark the windows were. "Oh, uh ... have you seen my mom?"

"She left after dinner with your boyfriend and then your friend Elena stepped by." The nurse recalled.

"She did?" Caroline asked in confusion. The nurse finally turned her attention to Caroline and gave her a skeptical look. "Yeah, she did but she said her name was Katherine." Caroline began to remember. "Can I just get something to eat?"

"Breakfast comes around seven." The nurse went back to typing.

"But I'm hungry." Caroline protested.

"You should go back to sleep." She waved her away.

Caroline sighed and stepped towards her room. From the corner or her eyes. She catches glimpse of red. She turns and looks at what caught her attention. There was a blood bag in an empty room.

Unknowingly Caroline stepped forth. Before she knew it her hand was on the blood bag.

"What are you doing in here?" The nurse calls out to Caroline. Quickly Caroline spins and hides the blood bag.

"I don't know." She answered, truthfully.

"You need to go back to bed." The nurse told her. She didn't let Caroline out of her sight as she walked her back to her room."Go to bed." She says, and leaves once again.

Caroline turns from the door. She wonders what it was that pulled her towards the blood. That's when she notices the blood bag in her hand. She feels the sudden urge to drink it. Even with complete distaste she raises it to her lips. She ignores her mind telling her to throw it away and bites down on to it.

Instantly, disgusted she drops the pouch. She sits down on her bed, contemplating what's wrong with her. But once again she feels the pull and looks to the ground. The bag sits there, tempting her.

Reluctantly she climbs down from her bed and crawls to it. Giving it another shot she picks it up and began drinking it again. This time she is pleased by the taste. Taking greedy gulps she stops only as her teeth start to elongate. But she is soon back to drinking every drop of blood in sight.

***Trinity's P.O.V.***

Go to sleep.

I've been telling myself this for the past hour. But I couldn't get the image of Katherine and Damon out from my mind. I wanted to get out of this room and wander about the house. It always helped me clear my mind. I couldn't though, I needed to stay quite and hope Damon didn't come up here.

I wasn't sure how to deal with him. I was jealous of his affections towards Katherine. There was much anger directed towards him. But he was still my best friend, and he was hurt.