Finding Family Pt. 4

Finding family Pt. 4

Bat-Log #9

Upon the return of my...other world expedition, I could not take my mind off of the Batman's associates. It has been a month since the events of Killer Croc's rampage and I have safely locked the stone up. I have been tempted to touch it again and go back to a world that loves Batman. I need to replant myself in the roots of this Gotham. This is my home, my world, and I must finish my crusade in this city. Regardless my emotions come into conflict as I cannot stop thinking about...well, Damian. I might have a son, an infant at this point, somewhere out there. He would be raised by Talia and the league and it pains me greatly to know this. She will be brutal to him, train him to kill, to never love or care about others.

Alfred has become suspicious; I have not told him about the other world. I must admit my fear of him knowing, about this vague hope and deep doubts. I doubt I will find Damian, I hope that Dick will be just as remarkable, I doubt what Jason will become, I doubt I will ever meet Tim. According to Alfred whatever I'm going through has made me more dissociative and this could cause more suspicion to Bruce Wayne. To my repudiation Alfred is forcing me on a date with miss Vicki Vale. Haley's circus is in town and he apparently thought that very appropriate instead of a fine dinner like a normal person. The Flying Grayson's better not disappoint.

Bat-Log #1048

After the events of last month, Jason has run off. He does not comprehend my concerns about what the Joker had almost done. He was barely breathing when I evacuated him from the warehouse. His injuries were near fatal, and it was ultimately my fault. I was biased and based my judgments on the other dimension's Jason. I must admit my foolishness, thinking to make him Red Hood after Dick had left his role as Nightwing. I was desperate for someone, for a partner, and now they are both gone. I had failed to see Jason's anger, oh so like my own, I thought I could help. Now both my...sons, yes, my sons. They are now in Bludhaven and I have failed them.

It has been five years. I still have not found Damian and I doubt his existence. I have failed all my sons.

Bat-Log #1098

Alfred has threatened to leave me. He claims I have become too brutal and obsessed. He doesn't understand, nobody does. They never understood the mission, not Alfred, not Dick, not Jason, and not even Barbara. She's retired as well, she left me. They all left, and now Alfred is going to as well.

I found Tim, or rather, he found me. Today he came to the door of my manor. He wants me, Nightwing, and Red Hood to get back together. I don't want anyone right now. I cannot ruin another person's life as I had before by basing their destiny on a parallel universe. I turned Tim away. I cannot make him Red Robin, I cannot lose another partner.

I have given up the search for Damian. He isn't real.

Bat-Log #6708

They all found out I was searching for him. They all came together and found him for me. Cass, Dick, Steph, Tim, Jason, Alfred, Kate, Luke, Clark, Diana, Barry, J'onn...they all searched.
I've found him!

The night was warm. A light breeze brushed against my face as I awaited in the shadows. The sky was clear, and the stars shimmered. My spirit was lifted, and my heart raced in anticipation. This was the night, the night I had waited years and years to happen. From my intel, Talia had some sort of game to play with Damian every year, presumably his birthday. Bat like creatures swarmed the air waiting for Damian to come. Well, only one bat would greet him. I gripped several smoke bombs and batarangs in preparation. I could hear a chopper in the distance and the silent breathes of the men hiding in bushes. At least they used to be hiding before I took them out. No one, and I mean, no one would get in the way of me meeting my son!
The chopper soared above and a shadowed figure jumped from the sky. The bat creatures immediately advanced. I hesitated to engage, but found the creatures falling to the earth in pieces before anything could be done. Blood glinted on the shadow's sword as he landed on the sand. Even at such an age he was well trained. A shiver ran down my spine. What has Talia done to him?

The boy turned about in anticipation as he discharged his parachute. It was really him. His green eyes shone bright, the eyes of Talia, but his face was my own. I stepped from my hiding place.

"You have no chance against me peasant!" Damian advanced with a sword in hand. My gauntlet clashed against his blade and it shattered on impact. The boy stumbled back but quickly advanced once more.

"Damian stop." I commanded with my arm outstretched. He faltered a moment. With that I tackled him to the floor and pinned his body down. The boy squirmed with all his might, but I was far more advanced than he was last time in the other dimension. "Listen to me Damian, I am not part of your challenge."

"And yet you dress like a bat." He hissed in the sand. I was a little surprised he had not heard of the Batman. Had Talia kept me so far removed from his life that he didn't know any news headlines? I swallowed a lump in my throat.

"Listen to me Damian, I am not here to attack you. I am here to save you."

"From whom?!" He seethed back.

"From me apparently." A voice chided from the shadows. Talia stepped out before us never losing eye contact from me. She gave a sinister grin with a glint in her eye.

"Talia." I ground out.

"Beloved." She cued back.

"Who is this mother?" Damian released himself from my grasp and jumped to Talia's side. He glared hard at me. I dismissed him a moment seething at what Talia had done.

"How..." My body rattled, "How could you keep him from me?" I stepped forward. "I searched for years!"

"And you have found him, detective." Talia's voice stiffened discovering that this wasn't a social call. "Now what will you do?"

"Take him to where he belongs, away from you and the league."

"To your fruitless endeavors upon Gotham? Your little 'mission' as you like to call it?" Talia laughed.

"Enough of this." I growled hurling a smoke bomb at my feet and lunging for her. Before either Damian or Talia could react, I socked her face and she fell into oblivion. I stood above her panting hard. I had trained for this, studying all her moves, just so I could save Damian. Maybe I thwarted it all again, aspiring after that other world, but it was okay now. Damian stood above the unconscious form of his mother. I paused a moment at the scene regretting how hasty I had been.

"I'm sorry." I whispered. "She'll be alright." Damian glared at me.

"Who are you?" Menace laced his voice, but I didn't care. Eight years, eight years of searching for him and he stood right there! My lips twitched upward. I smiled like I hadn't in a very long time and tears threatened to fall.

"I found you..." I quivered while placing a hand on his small shoulder. "Damian, I am your father."

THE END