Finding family Pt. 2

I groaned shifting my body. Everything ached. I peeled my eyes open to the dark room. The shades were still closed which meant Alfred hadn't come in exclaiming how he "approved" of my nightly activity. With a grunt I sat up gazing around at the empty walls. It was so different, the future. This was uncle Philip's guest bedroom, but the walls were now a green instead of the old cream color. The closet was on the other side and the bathroom was smaller. The future was so wrong. This room had been remade no longer for Philip; In this place he had died ages ago, but for me, only months. The Red Hood had killed him, and yet, I tried to save the murderer regardless. I rubbed my tired brow, clammy to the touch. What kind of hero would I become? ...apparently one with a wide group of associates. Four kids practically my age were my partners. The one I fought, Dick, he was really good. Thinking back to his moves, I recognized them, I learned it in Japan two years back. So, here I trained people...and then there's Superman. I will be friends with Superman! His personality was nothing special, but he's tall. I never thought to investigate him before, never thought our paths would cross. He's a freak'n alien!

My stomach growled. I turned towards the door then to the clock. 4:37, too early for Alfred. With a creak I stood from the bed placing a bathrobe on. I walked down the hallway sliding my finger along the picture frames. There were so many more portraits now. I stopped by one in particular. The paint job was more inexperienced than the rest, but still on a master level. I, my future and older self, sat in a chair as four boys stood around. I hadn't seen my older self yet, he was called away to some place called Themyscira with a woman. Either they were going to the town or the ancient Amazons were real in the future. I don't think want to know.

I recognized Dick, not the two next to him though. I paused at the short one. He was the kid that uncuffed me. A shiver ran down my spine. His eyes seemed very similar to Talia's. Had I taken in her child or perhaps her brother? I dismissed the thought. The more I knew of this time the more I could ruin it. With that I turned away and headed towards the kitchen finding it in shadows. My stomach screamed for sustenance. I turned towards the large oven top and then to the pots. It had been awhile since I had used a stove. Opening the pantry cabinet, I found that Alfred had not changed his policy on having no fast foods, like cereal, at the manor. I sighed. Alright, cooking it is! If I could do it over a campfire I could use a stove.

"What to make..." I muttered to myself. I was too used to Alfred's services in the short time being back, I was already forgetting how to fend for basic necessities. I clucked my tongue. "How about a bit of something from good old Deutschland?" I made for some flour, eggs and milk, lastly taking a bright red apple. As I moved a mixing bowl there was something off about the shelf. I looked deeper into the wood wall behind. It was nearly invisible and yet there was a nook for a finger to grasp. I squinted my eyes reaching for it. The wood gave away easily revealing a hole in the wall clearly hand carved. I cautiously reached in and touched something plasticky. It made a crackling noise as I pulled it out to reveal microwave popcorn. I smiled to myself triumphant. Oh ho, this was a big no, no in Alfred's book. I searched for a microwave to accommodate the popcorn.

"Dear Master Timothy, if not removed I will remove it for you. -AP" A tag read atop the metal box. Timothy...oh Tim! The boy with the double "R"s. I smiled. These future teammates were very sly. I loved it. I sighed. But it was very strange, knowing I would have some semblance of a family. The house was full of people, full of life. It seemed so...strange...

"All in your future." I muttered placing the bag in the microwave. Pressing in two minutes I turned to clean up the pfannkuchen mess. It would be nice though. As I placed the last of the flour away I patted down my now coated pants. I took a bite of the apple and turned to the microwave nearly choking. The whiff of smoke greeted me first as I coughed on the fumes.