Chapter 5: Deals and Candies

Start from the beginning

___________________________

The odd shopkeeper blinked, welcoming you to take a seat in front of the counter before recommending a cup of sweet caramel tea - "I'm Seam. The owner of this 'Shawp'. I didn't expect you to ever come here. News flew over me saying that some guards managed to capture you?"

"Yes... that is true." - you replied, trying to ease yourself. "Luckily, getting out wasn't a difficulty."

"You're a fast one, huh, kid?" - he looked with a deadpan expression "I pity you, the Card Castle became an ill-mannered place - you aren't lucky to be sentenced as a prisoner there. How did you manage to hide so far?"

You stayed clammed up, aware that if you'll reveal the secret, he might have the audacity to bust you to anyone. But Seam wasn't a fool; he reassured you that if anyone despises the courts - it's him the most. Thus, you took the decision to speak.

"I just hid on the lowest levels of the Castle. A sort of isolated dungeon with long stairs."

Seam's left eye became as wide as his button one. "And say, did this... floor... container a single prisoner within it?"

You looked up from your cup of tea, realization hitting you hard with the fact that he was talking about Jevil: "How did you know?"

But Seam only chuckled with amusement - "So you found him. Out of all the people that you could've stumbled upon... and despite all the trouble, I went through to keep him hidden - you genuinely found him."

"You locked him? What actually happened with Jevil?"

"He..." - shaking his head in a pensive matter, Seam knew you'd bombard him with questions - "was a funny little man. Once the court jester, and I the court magician."

"Was he your friend?"

"Perhaps, perhaps not. It doesn't matter anymore. But he was the only one who matched me in the games we used to play. One day, he met a strange someone... and since then he began to change. He began saying bizarre things that didn't make sense - but didn't completely not make sense, either."

"And that person was...?"

"We'll never know for sure, young one. But I'll tell you, whatever that entity was, he opened up dark yet darker secrets to the Jester. Soon he began seeing the world as a-

"As a game." - you interrupted your own lip trembling with unforeseen realization.

And Seam noticed that - "...indeed."

"...that is," - you gulped, a moment of eerie silence passed between you two as your mind went sailing in an endless ocean of thoughts "Thank you for telling me this. I think I have a better image of Jevil and his 'incident'."

"It seems you already know him better than I am. Now that you mention, it could be troublesome if you left him alone..." - he rubbed the fur of his chin "...Yes, it would be better if you, Lightner, dealt with him instead."

You peered in wonder. Things you felt you should have done, coupled with your perceived failures dominated your mind. You thought about your actions and words, finding them inadequate. Festering guilt rendered your mind ineffective, thinking how you could help Jevil.

"You don't look like a person whom chaos will bother. Here, Take this." - shuffling through ragged pockets, Seam handed you attentively an old broken piece of a key. "Maybe then, you'll be able to discover who was that mysterious person to corrupt him."

You stared at it, your mind slowly sorting out ideas and schemes - "Thank you, sir. I think I already know that person."

"You're playing with fire far stronger than you'd imagine. Though who am I to tell - you've probably faced something far worse." - chuckled the old man cynically, his pitch hollow eye seeing right through you and your hidden knife that you still obtain. "One day soon... You too will begin to realize the futility of your actions. At that time, feel free to come back here. I'll make you tea... and we can toast."