Chapter 8

Hello! We've nearly hit 100 reads. 100 people is too much for me to even comprehend. That's more than three times the amount of people who fit in my local swimming pool?! That sounds ballistic doesn't it, or am I just doing mad? Probably the latter. Anyway, thank you all SO DAMN MUCH for reading and don't forget to vote and comment!

The car ride there was awfully awkward. I had thought that between when we first started 'dating' and now we had settled into a comfortable pattern of small talk.

But apparently I was wrong.

Marek did nothing but glare at the road frustratedly. On one hand, I admired him for his self-control, not even breaking his gaze to throw me a glance once, but on the other hand, Marek was stubborn and I was losing my temper.

"Come on," I whined, clearly annoyed. "It can't be that bad Marek, our parents used to visit each other all the time. Your house was lovely back then."

"Well, hell of a lot has changed since then," he grunted, still staring intently at the road. I sighed, throwing my arms up in defeat and retiring to staring out the glimmering window.

The house we pulled up to must've been the wrong house. The house I remember from when we were little was painted white, with grey finished, and was lined with rose gardens and circled by a bright green lawn.

The house before me was surrounded in wilted plants and shrivelled grass and three cars with varying levels of gloss staring in the driveway. On the neglected layer of paint the house was coated in there were several burnt patches and small areas were plants had started climbing.

I gasped. I had not been ready for this.

He opened my door for me before I could object and he grabbed my hand, whispering in my ear, "We are a real couple, understand? If my brothers find out god knows what they will try and do to you, okay?" I nod, stunned into silence.

Brothers? Since when were his brothers in charge, from what I remember his family were very polite and respecting. Their mother really valued respect, and taught her sons accordingly.

Then I remembered a conversation I had with my own mother, not too long ago, concerning Marek's family I had mentioned his name once or twice during dinner to ease her into the idea of us being a couple, but she didn't seem to take the hint. Instead, she would start to spew out a bunch of depressing facts that led to the "demise" of their family. First, the father was thrown in prison for fraud, then the mother had contacted a terminal illness and died only several days later and the oldest brother, Vincent, had picked up a habit of smoking and trading illegal car parts to keep the income flowing.

I cursed myself inwardly for only remembering this now. I was expecting a home with a pair of friendly parents, maybe polite brother or two. But I had come home to chaos.

Marek led me to the door, slipped a key in the hole and let us in. When he locked the door behind him he shouted towards his brothers, to warn them of our presence. Sure enough, they came stalking through entry way, their eyes scanning over me like a piece of meat.

Without my realisation, I had huddled closer to Marek, and when I looked up, our eyes met and he knew to get me out of this situation. He motioned for his brothers to make their way towards the living room, where they would discuss the matter formally.

Marek was acting like a very possessive boyfriend today. His acting sure had improved since the last time I saw him.

The couches were barely kept together, seams breaking and fluff sticking out at all corners. Several black patches lines the once bright and sunny wallpaper, which I could only assume were the mark left by some car part.

Vincent's eyes were the first to feast upon me, followed seconds later by the younger brother. Marek was the middle of the three, but from my short experience with the brothers, I could safely say he was the best of the three.

Marek's arm wrapped around my waist possessively and I, unconsciously, lent into his chest. Marek nodded stiffly towards his siblings before addressing them in a monotone, emotionless voice, "This is my girlfriend, Alessa. You must remember her, she used to come over years ago. She insisted upon meeting you guys, but I'm sure it won't take very long."

With the last comment he glanced at me, as though seeking my approval, to which I nodded.

"I'm Alessa," I offered, sticking my hand out as an invitation to shake it. The two brothers laughed before Vincent smoothly picked up his hand and... slapped me?

I sat gobsmacked. My mouth parted slightly and my hands touching my already reddening check, which seemed fine, probably wouldn't even leave a mark.

I was ready to put it beside me and move on, but Marek was a completely different story. He was fuming, smoke pouring out of his ears and fire turning his face red until the tips of his ears.

Even that could not have prepared me for the punch he threw at his brother seconds later!

Even Vincent was stunned. From his reaction I could gather that Marek hardly ever fought back. So why did he this time? I might have been a girl, but that sure as heck did not mean I needed protecting.

I stood up promptly, dragging Marek behind me, and left the room. Leaving all three men speechless. 

I know I've left you all in the middle of a scene, and to be fair, that was my intention. I wanted to split this 'family-reunion' scene up into three parts, but I think I'm going to lower it to two. Don't forget to vote and comment!