Epilogue

One year later...

Chase did one last check. His dress pants were pressed. Shirt and tie just right. Cologne not too overpowering. Classical jazz played on the speakers.

"She didn't suspect a thing." Wyatt peeked out the front window. "I told her we bought a present for Boo Boo and she might as well leave him here until after church. Wait, I think it's her. Kill the lights!"

The house went dark.

"Not the Christmas tree lights, Treyvon."

Chase pressed his hand to his forehead. This wasn't going as planned.

"Sorry," Treyvon yelled. Wyatt ran to the family room. "Come on, Treyvon, let's get out of here. Break a leg, Dad."

Everything was in place. The past year had been the best of his life. He and Courtney had done all the paperwork and legal filings to start Trudesta Way, a six month after-release program for eighteen-year-olds leaving juvenile detention centers. Together, they'd talked to a variety of directors, juvenile delinquents, and potential mentors. With Courtney's tenacity, they'd scored enough donations to fund the program for a full year. And Chase couldn't wait to mentor his first person.

The front door opened. "Hello? Where are you? Chase? Why is it so dark in here?"

"Back here, Court." He wiped his sweaty palms down his pants. It was go time.

"What are you doing in the dark?" Courtney shook her head, but she was smiling. She came up to where he stood in the middle of the family room, reached up on her tiptoes and gave him a kiss.

"Waiting for you." He put his hands on either side of her waist.

"We need to get going if we're going to make the Christmas Eve service."

"We've got time." He searched her eyes, sparkling with love and Christmas joy. "I have an early Christmas present."

"You do?"

"Uh-huh." He gave her a grin. "Boo Boo, come here boy."

The tiny dog galloped to him. Chase picked him up. "Good dog. Now do you have something for your mommy?"

Boo Boo licked his face. Chase laughed, handing the dog to Courtney. With suspicion streaming from her gaze, she held the itty-bitty mutt.

Chase dropped to one knee. "Courtney, my love, the breath of fresh air I will always need, my favorite pen pal, you know I love you."

She was blinking rapidly. "I know."

"One year ago, I told you we'd do the boyfriend/girlfriend thing. Take it slow. It's been the best year of my life."

"Mine too," she whispered.

"But, this year has taught me one thing." He stared up at her. "I need more than a girlfriend. I'm ready for a wife. Courtney Trudesta, will you marry me?"

She gasped, almost dropping Boo Boo. "Yes! Oh, yes, Chase! I'll marry you."

"Check Boo Boo's collar."

"Why?" She fumbled with his collar. "It's not tick season."

Then she saw the sparkling diamond ring dangling from the collar. She took it off, and Chase slid it on her finger.

"I love you, Courtney."

"I love you, Chase." She hugged him. "Merry Christmas."

"To a lifetime of merry Christmases and a house full of babies."

She raised her eyebrows. "I like the way you think."

"Plenty more where that came from." He took her in his arms and kissed her. The Christmas lights twinkled around them. Snow fell outside. And Boo Boo danced at their feet.

His Christmas wish had come true. Thank the good Lord for second chances.

The End

**Thank you for reading my novella! Follow Jill Kemerer for all future books. If you'd like to purchase this novella, it is available on Amazon for only 99 cents! Just type in Sugarplums and Second Chances!**