Chapter Seven

"This way." Chase pressed his hand against Courtney's lower back to guide her into the pew Sunday morning. Her cream blouse and black skirt were conservative but showed off her trim figure to perfection. She oozed class.

Wyatt and Treyvon shuffled in next to them. Poinsettias lined the front of the sanctuary, and two tall Christmas trees twinkled up there, too. Piano music played as people quietly found seats. All morning he'd been wired and tense. Spending all this time with Courtney had been like nothing he'd ever experienced. He'd never gotten so close to a woman, never shared his emotions and hopes. Not even with Missy. But Courtney had loosened something inside him.

Lord, I think I'm falling for her. I can't. I know it's wrong. I promised to keep Wyatt my number one priority. And I've only been out of prison a year. Plus, this is the widow of my old teammate—a man I considered a good friend. I can't dishonor his memory like that. Oh, who am I fooling? She'd never be interested in me anyhow.

Courtney flipped through the pages of the service and leaned in close to him. "It's been months since I've attended church."

"Really?" He kept his voice low. "I hope I didn't pressure you into it. If you're uncomfortable..."

She placed her hand on his sleeve. He liked the feel of it there. "You didn't. Your church is serene. It's exactly what I need right now."

The service began, and Chase willed himself to focus. Succeeded for the most part. The Christmas hymns evoked a feeling he'd craved most of his life but which always escaped him. The feeling of love, of home, of family. Ever since he was a child, he'd wanted this—people to care about who cared about him. Faith. A reason to live a little better, bigger.

And he'd gotten it.

But how long would it last?

Courtney was leaving after Christmas, which was Friday. He was going to try to convince her to stay until after New Year's, but regardless, she'd be gone soon. In a few years, Wyatt would be off to college, and Treyvon would be graduating and getting a job somewhere.

Chase would be alone. In his big mansion on the lake. Would the view be as beautiful with no one to share it with?

The pastor was speaking about Mary's song when she visited Elizabeth. How her soul glorified the Lord for being mindful of her humble state.

Peace swept over him. All his fears drifted away. God had gotten him through the turmoil of having a baby out of wedlock, a tumultuous relationship with Missy, gaining custody of Wyatt, juggling a busy NFL career, forgiving Missy, dealing with her death, going after Len, and spending three years in prison. If God could forgive all that and still want Chase as His own, well, Chase had nothing to worry about.

He'd been blessed beyond belief. God could have given up on him a million times, but He hadn't.

And who was Chase to ask for more?

He'd been given more than enough.

The rest of the service passed quickly. When it ended, Treyvon and Wyatt headed up the aisle, but Courtney didn't stand.

Chase stayed seated next to her. Her face was drawn. She looked upset. "What's going on?"

"Do you mind if I sit here for a few minutes? You can go on without me. I won't be long."

She looked ready to shatter. He couldn't leave her alone like this. What had happened during the service to upset her?

He put his arm around her shoulders. "I'm not leaving you alone. I can tell you're upset. I'll stay right here with you."