Chapter Two

Had he pushed her too hard? Chase studied Courtney, memorizing each detail. The dimples that flashed when she smiled. The way she fidgeted with her mug. The rigidness in her back. He got the impression she was as lost as he was, and he wanted her to find her way. If anyone should have a happy life, it was Courtney.

"Okay, you talked me into it." The dimples appeared momentarily. "But don't worry, I won't be in your way. Go about your business. Do what you do. You don't have to entertain me."

Chase frowned. Do what you do? If only she knew how at sea he'd become without the strict schedule of the NFL or the regiment of prison life. He couldn't remember a time when he'd had complete control over his days. Someone else had always spelled it out for him. Sure, he oversaw his business empire—the eleven sandwich franchises he owned and the investments from his NFL days—but his manager took care of most of the work.

What he wanted to do was start a program for kids like Treyvon who had nowhere to go after leaving juvenile detention. But who would listen to him given his record? Besides, he had no idea where to begin.

"You won't be in my way. Treyvon is busy helping organize a toy drive for one of the charities he joined on campus, and Wyatt's still in school until next week. Every afternoon I get a text saying he's sledding with Hunter or going to Pat's Diner with a bunch of friends."

She chuckled. "I remember those days. High school. Where the social opportunities never ended."

"Yeah, I remember them, too. I just wish..." He raked his fingers through his hair. "I feel like I missed the most important years with him. He's so busy. I had this big plan when I got out of prison. I was going to be the best dad ever. Devote all my time to him, you know?"

"I can see it." She nodded, raising the coffee cup for another drink.

"But his friends and girls and all the fun activities around here are way more of a draw than me."

She covered his hand with hers. It was the second time she'd touched him. He liked it. Hadn't ever had a woman comfort him with her touch before. Not his ornery mother. Certainly not Wyatt's mother, Missy.

"You're still important to him," she said.

He hoped so, but he had his doubts. "Look, I have nothing to complain about. I'm thankful the parole board released me early, and I'm fortunate to have all this." He opened his arms to the room. "I've wanted to live in Lake Endwell ever since I first met Drew Gannon—you remember him? My best friend? When we roomed together in college, he told me about his childhood here."

"I remember Drew. He was really nice." Boo Boo let out a yip, and Courtney reached down, setting the tiny dog on her lap. "You bought the house in February, right?"

"Good memory." He was surprised she remembered. A part of him had never quite believed she'd read the letters he wrote in response to hers.

"I have to admit, spending Christmas here at your lake house beats how I spent it last year." She picked a piece of fuzz off her pale pink sweater. A silver chain with a heart dangled from her neck. She was so...feminine and easy to talk to.

"Let's see. Last year you moved back in with your mom, right? Pittsburgh?"

Bowing her head, she nodded.

"Must have been really tough."

"It was. For months all I did was take her to chemo treatments and help her through the side effects. Last year we didn't even have a Christmas tree. It was awful."