chapter 31

When the past comes knocking...

Efua POV

No, no, noooooo!!!

I screamed out of my sleep.

What's the matter? Mum rushed into my room. Followed by Ese and Temmy. Efeosa pushed past them and climbed my bed cuddling me in his arms which I melted into as I was practically shaking like a leave obeying the wind.

It alright. Am here now. Efeosa whispered into my ear.

Everyone stood there watching in silence.

Would you like to come and spend the night in my room? Efeosa asked why freeing me from his grasp.

No. Thanks. It's just a nightmare. I...am...fine now.

No you're not Efua you're still shaking. I can't let you sleep alone like this. Remember am a strong man I won't let any harm come to you. Efeosa persisted.

Okay if you won't stay in my room I will stay in yours. He added stubbornly as he laid beside me before I could reject his offer. everyone concurred.

They all turned to leave when Efeosa asked a question that quickened their footsteps.

Why are we in separate rooms by the way?

How do you mean?

He held his head as though struggling to remember something. After a while he looked at me and said sadly

Is like Someone told me that...that emm...oooo. I can't remember.

I opened my mouth to calm him down when he shouted excitedly.

that you're my wife!

I was silent.

Efua is that true?

Uhum, true? What's true?

That you're my wife?

Y..es but....

Then why are we staying in separate rooms? Efeosa demanded looking very serious.

I opened my mouth to say something but he helped me out by concluding...

I guess you must have forgotten that we're married right?

I nodded. Not wanting to prolong the matter or get him upset.

It okay. Now that I have remembered for us, let's go to our room. With this he got up and began to move my things into his room. I was too dumb to protest. I just watched on...

†************†

Come back here you idiot!

No! I screamed

I'll kill you today.

No, you cannot kill me. I said boldly.

Yes I can, because you belong to me!

I do not belong to you! You monster!

With that he ran after me. I ran screaming at the top of my voice.

I felt someone shaking me.

Efua wake up. Open your eyes! It was Efeosa. I opened my eyes and found myself been cuddled once more in Efeosa's arm.

Was it the nightmare again? He asked cleaning the sweat from my forehead. Did you run again? He asked looking concerned.

Tears simply spoke for me as they ran down my cheeks. Ever since I got here, it has been one nightmare after the other. I barely sleep at night. That night of my awful experience with Lucas replays in my dream every night. This was the reason I never wanted to come here. The memories here are not healthy for me at all, but Efeosa was healing fast.

I still remember the first day we moved in here. Efeosa immediately recognised the place as his house. In fact he surprised everyone by going straight to his room.

And then, a week ago, remembered me as his wife and requested that I move into his room. Ever since then, I always disturbed his sleep as I would wake up at the middle of the night screaming. Efeosa would cuddle me like a little baby and make sure I was alright again before returning to sleep.

All these while he has been sick, I took care of dad's business.

Though it wasn't easy. However, I cannot explain where the strength came from.

I still received a letter with a rose flower when we returned to this house and I wondered who could be doing this? It wasn't a love letter, instead it sounded more like appreciation.

Thanks for everything. Am eternally grateful to you!!!!

From me with love

The door opened and Efeosa walked in with a tray covered with a white knapping.

Here I brought you snacks. I know you must be hungry now after running that much in your dream.

Oh Efeosa, you should have asked me first. His countenance changed immediately.

I meant to say how did you know I was hungry? I quickly rephrased my question so as not to upset him. A broad smile covered his lips.

So you're going to eat? He asked like an innocent child.

Of course. Am famished already.

Thanks so much...

***********†********

I came back from work quite early so as to take Efeosa for check up at the hospital.

Welcome my light. Welcome. Efeosa chorused as he ran down the stair case. I looked up and smiled. He was just too innocent.

Careful. I said while returning his smile. But before he could reply me, he missed his step, and came summa salting down the stairs. I ran towards him but it was too late. His head was bleeding seriously.

Mum who was sitting close by saw what had happened and screamed.

Without wasting much time we rushed him to the hospital were he was admitted.

Shortly after Dr Richie informed us that he was unconscious.

It was as if my hard work of trying to revive Efeosa was going down the drain.

Ese wouldn't stop crying and mum refused to be consoled. Everyone was troubled and scared and so was I.

Thanks for reading, please don't forget to press the star blow. 😘😘😘😘