chapter 30

A sincere forgiveness is like a burning coal on the offender.

Omoye POV

For days now I felt sick about all of these. I mean, Efeosa's lose of memory barely five months after i lost my husband in a ghastly auto crash. Efua becoming my son's saviour. Efua's forgiveness yet still desires to leave as soon as Efeosa is well. Everything was just too much to take in. As they rightly say, what goes round comes around. I now know that it pays to be good. Even though Efua accepted to do all that she now does for my family, I know it's all for the  sake of my late husband Osas. She has also got a good heart too. It was in her case my orientation of the poor changed totally. Like Osas said, "everyone is not the same. Efua is different. All she wants is a people to call a family, not to exploit." Efua proved Osas right. She never really meant harm. She proved this to me the day she had wanted to leave with nothing but the clothes she was wearing. It was so wrong of me to have generalized my orientation that now appears so lame of me. My past experiences with the poor people were only based on personal attitude, character and mannerism. It was all about the person and not the people in general. After all, everyone has a good and a bad side. Ha! Truly, not everything is taught in the school. Some things are taught in the school, at home, in the church, market. In fact, as rational human beings, we all are suppose to learn one or two things wherever we find ourselves. Not without keeping records of our experiences. We're suppose to write our bad experiences on the sand so that they can be easily washed away by the water of forgiveness or blown away by the air of love. Not on the rock were it will forever be remembered. All these years I have been a prisoner of my own anger. Living in the dark and sad room of revenge and inhumanity.

Turning me into a beast. How i wish i could turn the hand of time. I would have undo all that i did to Efua. A girl so innocent and pure in heart. Selfless and beautiful in and out.  Though she accepted to stay, it was only as long as Efeosa was sick. " I will stay but as soon as Efeosa is well, I will be gone. I can't stay here." Her words echoes in my head. "But why? Efua, you know am truly sorry for all I did to you. Please don't take this light of yours off my family I beg you my daughter." I had pleaded.  "oh no mummy, it's not about you, it's about me. I don't belong here. I just can't stay here. Please don't try to talk me into staying." She had pleaded.

She was quiet most of the times. She dedicated her time and energy in taking care of Efeosa. She would feed him, play with him and stay with him as Efeosa wouldn't let her out of his sight. His excesses was becoming too much. Even I his mother gets piss off some times, but Efua never seemed angered by his behaviour. Instead she would scold anyone who dares to shout at Efeosa including me. This single act of hers startles me beyond any imagination.

I couldn't stop crying. I know the pains and sufferings I brought to this girl, not to talk of the ones Efeosa made her pass through, but she forgave them all. And chose to be the light in my darkened family. After that day she said she forgave me, her action never contradicted those words of  forgiveness. The realization of this sincere act of forgiveness from a girl like Efua, hurts my conscience even the more. It was as if a hot coal was set burning on my head.

Its been weeks now a Efeosa seems to be healing fast. At least in the aspect of his memory. He now knows who each person is to him. He knows am his mother, Ese, his sister and Temmy, his brother in law to be. Surprisingly, it was only Efua he still hadn't remembered who she is to him. But he knew her name and sees her as his closest friend. Efua seems not to be bothered at all, but l am. I had fasted and prayed that Efeosa remembers his wife and that they would settle down as real man and wife.

Ese and Temmy were engaged but Ese refused to accept Temmy's proposal because she said she wanted her brother to be back to health before she would marry. Temmy had no choice than to wait. It was good to see my daughter Ese becoming more and more responsible as the day goes by. All thanks to Efua and Temmy.

Efua had said she wanted to see the whole family. When we were all gathered she let out a bomb shell.

As you all know. Efeosa and I went for his check up this after and Dr. Richie said that Efeosa's healing is too slow and that the danger in this, is that, his lose of memory may become permanent if this continue. 

As a result I have decided that we all move into our apartment in GRA as suggested earlier by Dr Richie so as to speed up his healing process.

What? Ese questioned

What about your own health? Mum questioned.

Is this the only way out? Temmy added.

One question at a time please.

To answer you mum, I can take care of my health.

And you Temmy, this seems to be the only option at hand now.

The whole place was dead silence...

Thanks for reading😍