Chapter 14

Contract marriage

Efeosa POV

It's been a week now since I have been compelled to find that Efua of a girl by mum.

'You have to find that girl son, we have to hear your dad's will or don't you want to have access to his company?'

Mum please, not again! I thought we have talked about this already?

Have we?

Yes!

And the conclusion was?

That we will give some money to Barr. Mark so that he can skip all those processes of 'everyone must be complete'.

Hahaha. Omoye laughed at her son's naive ness.

Why are you laughing mum?

Because you're so naive about matters of life.

How?

O my son! Don't you know is not everyone you can bribe?

It's not a bribe mum.

Really? Then give it another name.

Alright. It's a bribe. Is just for him to do a little thing mum.

The Barr. Mark l know will never collect a kobo from anyone. That's what he's known for. That's the main reason he's an expensive Barr. In the country. Don't even mention anything bribe where he is because he might just lock you up.

Son, the only option left for us is to do that which is required.

Which is? Efeosa asked looking confused.

To find Efua!

Mum and I turned as the door banged. Ese walked in half drunk.

Ese! Mum shouted at the top of her voice. What is wrong with you? Why are you doing this to yourself.

Ese moved over to mum and vomited at her feet. Mum Was about to say something when Ese laid down on her vomit. Rubbing her vomit all over her.
Mum opened her mouth but no sound came forth. I saw tears rolling down mum's cheek.

I walked towards my twin sister Ese to carry her up when mum turned to me with fury in her eyes and asked me to leave her presence and go in search of Efua. I didn't wait for her to finish before I ran out of the house.

*****†****

Omoye POV

My world is crushing before me!
I watch my children wasting away in front of me and I feel so helpless about it.

I walked over to my dressing table and picked up Osas' picture on the table.

O Osas! I wish you were here. Why did you have to go? Leaving me all alone to parent them.

Osas, you were my strength. My hero. My super man. Ho! How I miss you, my Jewel. I said hugging and sobbing bitterly.

Osas, you offended me though. Why did you go ahead to adopt  Efua without my consent and now you demanded that she must be present before your will can be read. Ha! Isn't that too far?

I felt heart broken as I placed the picture back to its place on my table.

The sound of Efeosa's car pulling over at the car park. I looked through my window and saw Efua and Efeosa walking towards the house. I immediately left my room to meet them.

******†****

Now that we are all here, I will proceed with the first stage of reading this WILL which is this note.

My beloved family,
With love and conviction I write this. I demand that you all live together or if you can't live together, at least stay together.
When I am no more, I wish that, my beloved son Efeosa, takes over from me as the new CEO of our company, but on one condition, that he marries Efua first.....

What? Everyone chorus.

Dad must have been drunk when he wrote this!

Will you shut up? How dare you speak in that manner about your father? Omoye quarries Efeosa.

Am sorry about that  Barr. Please continue. Omoye said.

Thank you ma. Mark said as he resumes the reading.

You all might think that am insane but no. I know exactly what am doing and this request of mine must be carried out to the letter or else, Efeosa would have no access to our company!
Efeosa dear, don't be too upset it's going to be a contract marriage that will last for Six months... That will be enough time for what's to be achieved to be achieved. Barr. Mark shall make arrangement for this union a week after this is read.

Efua is the only one who has the right to walk out of this marriage.
If anything should happen to Efua during this period, the company should be sold by Barr. Mark and the money should be given to St. Mary orphanage home.
However, if Efua should accept, she will carry out her NYSC under the supervision of Efeosa as the CEO.
Since Ese is on medical line, she could manage the hospital but not until she stops drinking!

To my beloved wife. I love and cherish you. Please ensure that our children carry out this my last request to the letter. You're my pride.

With love from me.....

The whole room was silent as Barr.Mark concluded.

This is all an expensive joke. Efeosa said as he walked out of the living room followed by Ese then Omoye, leaving Efua alone with Barr. Mark. Efua soon got up to go, but Barr. Mark stopped her by saying ' oh Efua, I have a note for you from your late dad.'

He handed Efua a note which had dad's fragrance on it.

Efua opened and read through it.

Efua, if it ever happens that you're the only one in the world who can help me and yet it will cost you a lot of discomfort would you do it for me?

Of course dad! As long as it it's morally right and won't kill me. Efua please now is the time to fulfil this wish of mine. Please Efua, help me. Just accept it and I promise you that you'll not regret it. Efua, if you truly love me do this for me.

Tears filled Efua's  eyes as she read through the paper..

Thanks for reading😘