Chapter 7

University

Efua (POV)

Dr. Osas left for a business trip and is as if Efua should have gone with him. The truth is that she was afraid to be left alone with madam. He made her promise that she would be of good behaviour as always. He assured her that she would be fine with madam as he had spoken with her. That was what he told her the last time but, madam still  managed to injure her before his arrival and made her lie to him that she fell down the stairs. Omoye told Efua to call her monster mother since she was in dear need of a  mother, as all she could offer her that was that. And, that, that's what she was going to be to her until dad returns.
'Mum you're so beautiful.
I love your hair. I said as I touched her hair. She didn't shout. Instead she smiled at me. She looked at me without saying a word. I felt at peace. I felt this happiness I have never felt before. I want to remain here with you forever.  But she shook her head with tears in her eyes. But why? I want to stay with you. Please don't say no! She turned and walked away slowly. I cried and cried but she didn't turn back. I jumped up as I felt a stroke of the cane on my skin. It was madam....my monster mother. 'Wake up you lazy witch! So you have the audacity to sleep in the afternoon while I am awake? 'Please madam, I have finished my chores for the day. It's just to Cook dinner in the evening that remains. 'who told you that you're through? she asked me with a slap on my face. She went to her room and emptied her wardrobe for me to wash. Afterwards she asked me to clean the house the second time that day. She also asked me to put a bucket of water in the refrigerator. By the time I finished, it was 1am. I went to bed without food on her order. The following morning she woke me up at about 3am with that same bucket of water she asked me to put in the refrigerator the night before. I jumped up shivering. She sent me outside and locked the door. I spent the remaining part of the morning outside in the cold, shivering like a leaf that is obeying the wind. When it was around 6:30am I felt dizzy and behold blackout. I woke up two days later at the hospital with dad at my side. I thought I was dreaming again. So I shot my eyes again until I heard dad say to the doctor 'Doc, she opened her eyes just now. That was when I realized that dad,  been at my side, was a reality, so I opened my eyes. 'Hey princess, thank God you're finally awake. 'Good morning dad' I said trying to sit up. Dad came close and helped me up. I was very weak and my muscles aches so much. I also felt cold inside but I was sweating from the outside. 'Good evening rather. Dad greeted smiling. It's evening princess. You fainted again. And this time, you're diagnosed of pneumonia. Why did you expose yourself to so much cold princess? I remained mute. I could not tell dad what truly happened. I didn't want to cause more problems between dad and madam again. You're not saying anything princess? Dad said. 'Dad please who brought me here? I asked.  Your mum, she left not quite long...my mum? I meant my wife. Oh I see. Tell me what happened princess while I was away? Was she nice to you? I nodded while pretending as though I was feeling sleepy.  I didn't want to talk about it. I didn't want to lie to dad either. That was why I nodded. I Lay there with my eyes closed as though I was sleeping but I was not. The thought of my dream about a certain beautiful woman whom I called mum, while dad was away filled my heart. I wish I could dream about her every night. She looked so beautiful and kind. Her smiles alone lifted my heart. Her hair was so long and pretty but she looked sad. Perhaps she didn't want to leave me either but she left anyway.

********†********
You can't stop me Omoye! What's your problem? My problem is that you want to waste my money on that low life bastard! Did I hear you say your money? Yes you heard me right! Don't you ever forget that I made you who you're today! You did? Oh stop acting dumb Osas. Am I? Now you listen to me and listen good Omoye. Number one:
you didn't make me. Two it's not your money I want to spend. Three...
Oh shut up Osas because you're saying nonsense! That riff raff is not going to the university abroad and that is final. Sorry Omoye but you can't always have your way. Osas, do not try my patience any further! Osas looked at his wife who was now sobbing. It's about 2am in the morning. They've argued for hours.
He hated it when she cries because she meant the world to him. She and their children were the only family he had, before Efua came into their world. Efua was now a part of it. Why can't she accept that? Osas moved closer to his wife, and cupping her soft face with his hands kissed her forehead lovingly. 'Omoye please.. let's train this girl. You know I need you to support me in this. Fine, she won't go abroad to study as you said. Let her go to one of the universities here at least.
Please Jewel. Do this for me. Can't you see she is helpless? I know deep within you, you want to help. It's just that you're afraid of the poor because you feel they're heartless people. But trust me when I say that it's not all about them been poor. It's about personality. Everyone is not the same. There are people out there that are poor yet are selfless, harmless and kind. And that helpless orphan living with us is an  example of such. She has a good heart Omoye. Please am begging you. Give her a chance. 'Dearie, I don't want to lose you. I love you. She finally spoke. 'Jewel, what do you mean by losing me? You're my world. You know I love you, right?Omoye nodded without looking at him. 'Look at me and answer me jewel. Osas said as he gently raised her chin up. She looked into his eyes and a smile covered her lips I know you love me Osas. Then do this for me. Let's train her in the university. Omoye didn't respond with words. She simply nodded burying her face on my chest.....

thanks for reading....😘😘😘please don't forget to vote, share and comment thanks....