Chapter 5

Dr. Osas (POV)
Dr. Osas entered his office with a very big smile on his face. It was crystal clear that he was very happy so he couldn't denial it when his bosom friend asked, what the good news was.
''I am extremely happy now that Omoye promised to give Efua a chance to be a member of our family. It was not easy to convince her.'' Dr. Osas said shaking his head. ''So, how did you do it'' Barr. Mark asked with a smile.  ''It happened yesterday, when she almost killed me in an attempt to frame Efua up.'' Dr. Osas said dismissively. ''I am happy for you. Anyways, I just stopped by to say hi.'' Barr. Mark said as he stood to leave. ''That is very kind of you my friend.'' As Dr. Osas closed the door after his friend, he couldn't help but recall the whole drama that lead to Omoye's acceptance of Efua. He had came back from work yesterday feeling quite exhausted. All he wanted to do was just to eat and go to bed. Luckily dinner was set. Himself and Omoye sat to eat. She said the 'prayer before meal' after which Dr. Osas took the first spoon, immediately he shouted as he began to grow weak. He had tasted Onions in the food which he is allergic to. He remembered telling Efua about his allergy. Then why did she add onions to this food or did she forget? He wondered. Omoye quickly brought the first aid box where he took some drugs. All through the night he was restless. He had confronted Efua and she cried that she didn't cook with onions. While Omoye kept raining curses on her for attempting to make her a widow. It took Dr. Osas quite sometime to believe Efua because believing her only meant that he would be accusing his wife. His doubt was confirmed when Omoye quarried him that he brought a witch to the house to wipe their family linage. And added that Efua must go. 'Is that enough reason you wanted to kill me?' Dr. Osas inquired. How could you Omoye? You could have killed me. She was silent. Then she attempted denying it, but he knew when his wife was lying or telling the truth. She eventually accepted that she added the onions and that it was not to kill me but to kick Efua out. He was furious. He just couldn't believe how desperate she had become. She begged and begged even promising to accept Efua as a member of the family still he didn't say a word to her instead he returned to sleep. The following morning she greeted him but he didn't answer her. He still didn't say a word to her till he left for work. She went too far. However, he felt happy that she has at least accepted Efua. The ringing of  Dr. Osas phone pulled him out of his thought back to reality. He looked at the caller, it was unknown. He wanted to ignore it but the caller was persistent so he picked. 'Hello, this is Dr. Osas how may I help you?' He asked as he answered the call. 'Hello sir, I am calling from Yona police station, to inform you that your wife has been arrested for child abuse. While the child in question has been hospitalized at Home-care hospital' we shall come and interrogate the child later. Hello sir, are you still there? I hung up the call. Grabbing his car key, he headed for the hospital. What's all these? Why is Omoye, my Omoye turning herself into a monster? Who reported to the police by the way? All these questions filled Dr. Osas's head as he drove to the hospital. He had to get there to talk with Efua before the police get there.

†*******†*******†******†

Dr. Osas despite knowing that this was wrong still went ahead to beg Efua to speak in favour of his wife so that she won't be jailed longer than she already was. His heart fell when he saw two policemen coming out of a ward. He ran to the nurse to make inquiry about the ward that Efua was and it happened to be the same ward the officers came out from. He went towards the room with a heavy heart. The two officers were talking close to the ward. As he approached them, he could hear a little from their conversation. 'Why did Barr. Collette Inose, give us a false information?' One of the officers questioned the other who was about to reply but upon seeing Dr. Osas, kept quiet, instead, greeted him as he walked pass them into the ward. There, Efua laid, so calm but looking very weak. A little sweet smile covered her lips as she saw Dr. Osas. 'Good afternoon Daddy'. She greeted. I am so sorry dad, I didn't mean to break the glass. I got madam angry and....'' She tried to explain.  'It okay my princess. I am happy you're fine now. So tell me what did the officers ask you'. She looked at me with a rather worried look. 'Please promise me you won't be mad at me if I say the truth'. 'I promise ' Dr. Osas said smiling. How could he be angry with her. He loved her so much and can not explain why. 'I had to tell them a lie. They said they wanted to protect me from madam but I know it's a lie. They didn't know that it was all my fault'. She said playing with the bed sheet as she spoke. 'No, it wasn't your fault my dear' Dr. Osas said convincingly  'But, daddy, I spilled water on madam and her friend and...' She protested further. ''Madam and her friend?' Dr. Osas asked.
'Yes, daddy. ' Efua replied. 'Ok. Can you describe her?' Dr. Osas asked trying to clear his doubt. 'Yes, she is a dark complexioned woman who came to greet madam and was there when everything happened.' Efua said.  'Oh, I see'. So, it was truly Colette who reported to the police. Ah! now I can connect what the officers were talking about when I walked past them, but why? Why did she betray Omoye? Dr. Osas thought to himself. Still, he couldn't comprehend why. Even if he should try to explain this to Omoye she won't believe that her best friend ordered her arrest reported that she was a child abuser. Well, the most important thing now was that Efua was doing okay. This realization gave Dr. Osas strength.

******************
Few days later Efua was discharged and Omoye, though was released the same day she was arrested, never came to the hospital. Omoye was gradually becoming a monster, a  heartless and mean wife. She didn't believe that it was her friend that ordered her arrest. She chose to blame Efua instead for everything and this was really hurting Dr. Osas badly.

Thanks for reading. Please try to vote, share and comment.😘😘