XLI. WHEN THE PARTY'S OVER

Start from the beginning

"Why?" Stiles whispered, "why are you doing this?"

"To win the game."

The sound of the Oni's blades whipping through the air made everybody jump and move back to form a tighter circle. Scott transformed immediately while Kira, once again, pulled her sword out, preparing for battle.

...

While Kira and Scott managed to fight all four Oni, Stiles, Harper and Lydia rushed away from the clanging swords and swiping claws, deadly aware of their inability to heal or fight. They stood no chance against the demonic ninjas that Kira and Scott were just barely holding off.

Harper watched in fear, her arms thrown over Stiles as he held her back, Lydia on the other side of her just as scared. The redhead moved to hold Harper's other hand, tears filling her green eyes.

"How is this happening?" Scott yelled to Kira, "how are we in this place?"

"You're asking me?" Kira panted as she swung at one of the Oni, "a month ago I never touched a sword."

Harper squeezed Lydia's hand, hating how helpless she was feeling. She wished she could help her two friends, but she would only get herself killed.

"This can't be real," Lydia whispered, shaking her head.

"Yeah, tell that to them," Stiles scoffed.

Harper bit down on her bottom lip, "What if it's not?" She gulped, "What if it's not real?"

"What do you mean?" Lydia turned to her.

"The snow- it's fake. It's not melting. And the way we entered this place, it's like when Scott and I entered Stiles' mind, it's like how a dream shifts- if makes no sense," she explained, panting slightly from the cold air filling her lungs.

"So if this is all fake..." Stiles realised.

"We can't get hurt," Harper finished hesitantly, "I think."

There was a heavy silence between the three teenagers before they looked up, just in time to see Kira's sword fly through the sky and land in the snow in front of them. The ebony haired girl was left defenceless, a horrified expression cast upon her face.

Scrambling forwards before Harper could protest, Stiles grabbed the sword and lifted it so the end was pointed at his stomach, his hands on the handle ready to push.

"Stiles!" Harper cried out, her heart almost shattering in her chest.

Lydia grabbed onto the brunette's arms, stopping her from interfering. Scott looked up at the commotion, his red eyes growing in horror when he saw what was going on.

"No!" He yelled, "Stiles."

The Nogitsune growled as Stiles' grip on the sword adjusted, a nervous but determined look on his face. He purposely didn't look over at his girlfriend who he knew was freaking out.

"What if it saves you?" Stiles muttered desperately, "What if it saves all of you?"

"What if it's just another trick?" Harper protested, her bottom lip trembling, "Stiles, don't do this. Oh god, please don't do this."