XVI. FINE

chapter sixteen

chapter sixteen

The doors to Derek's loft slid open, signalling that Jennifer had arrived. Harper's hand instinctively clasped Stiles' as she stood in between him and Scott, tucked away in the shadows where their English teacher couldn't see them. Stiles looked down briefly at their hands and squeezed her fingers comfortingly.

Her head was still bleeding, but Derek had given her a bandage as soon as they had rushed through the door to tell him what was going on with the Darach. Harper had linked to Scott since Stiles was so upset about his father it was starting to effect her negatively.

"Derek?" Jennifer yelled, her heels clicking on the floor as she rushed inside frantically, "Derek where are you?"

"Right here," Derek replied, walking towards her.

"Oh thank god," she sighed.

Lightening lit up the room from the outside, thunder clapping in the distance as she quickly grabbed the alpha into a tight hug, squeezing her eyes shut and breathing shakily. She pulled away, putting on an innocent face.

"Something happened at the recital. At the school," she rambled, "okay, I need to tell you before you heart it, before you hear any of it from them."

"From who?"

"Scott, Stiles, Harper. They're gonna tell you things. Things you can't believe. You have to trust me, okay?" Jennifer practically pleaded with him, "you trust me."

Derek frowned, "what is it?"

"Promise you'll listen to me."

The alpha paused for a second before giving a short nod, "promise," he confirmed.

And then she kissed him. The only sound was the storm in the distance, and when Derek didn't kiss back or wrap his arms around her like he usually would, she knew that something was off. Opening her eyes, she pulled away and looked at him with no expression.

"They're already here, aren't they?"

The three teenagers took this as their signal to come out from behind some crates, glaring at Jennier. Harper let go of Stiles' hand, instantly feeling cold, but she wrapped her arms across her chest. She was sure that she looked a mess with blood everywhere and her makeup washed off, but she didn't care.

"So," Jennifer attempted to keep the act up, looking back at Derek, "they told you it was me? That I'm the one taking people?"

Scott cut in, "we told him you're the one killing people," he spat.

"Oh, that's right," the dark haired woman chuckled sarcastically, "committing human sacrifices? What, cutting their throats? Yeah, I probably do it on my lunch hour. That way I can get back to teaching high school English the rest of the day. That makes perfect sense."