XLI. WHEN THE PARTY'S OVER

Start from the beginning

"Oh, well this is definitely not part of the plan," Stiles muttered.

Harper held out her hand, allowing for some snowflakes to fall into the hollow of her palm. She frowned as it didn't melt against her skin, however she had no time to think about it as a figure began to come out from behind a wall, twitching and jolting. Kira pulled out her sword immediately.

It was the Nogitsune in it's original form- not Void Stiles. He had his bandages wrapped around his face, his rows of sharp teeth on display as he began to talk.

"Like I promised, Stiles," he roared, "we're going to kill all of them. One by one."

Static noises burned in Harper's ears for a second before an Oni appeared right in front of Kira. The ebony haired girl's sword collided with its own, stopping it from coming closer. It stood back, placing it's sword by it's side.

Four Oni stood opposite the teenagers who remained as confused as ever.

"What the hell is this? Where are we?" Scott voiced everybody's thoughts.

"Between life and death," The Nogitsune announced, memories of Kira's first lunch with the pack flooding Harper's brain.

"Bardo," Lydia whispered, also remembering.

"But there are no peaceful deities here, Lydia," the demon spoke, "You're dying, Stiles."

Harper's hand clutched Stiles' harder, his sweaty palm pressed against hers. His fingers were freezing, however, harsh against her skin as they held her back.

"And now everybody you care about is dying too," The Nogitsune laughed.

"What?" Stiles blinked, "What do you mean?"

"I've captured almost all of the territories on the board, Stiles," the bandaged spirit announced as the Oni moved to circle the gang, "the hospital. The sheriff's station. And now the animal clinic. Do you know the ritual of seppuku, Stiles?"

"No, and I don't want to," The teenage boy replied sourly as the Nogitsune slowly approached him.

Stiles stood so Harper was behind him, his body half facing the demon and half his girlfriend, his large hand on the small of his bag as he prepared to protect her. He didn't like the way the Nogitsune was getting so close, taunting them.

"When a samurai disembowels himself with his own sword to maintain his honour, but that's not the cut that kills him," It explained, "the killing stroke is made by his kaishakunin, who beheads the samurai with his own katana. Scott... Scott is your kaishakunin."

Harper gulped, realising what the Nogitsune wanted Stiles to do. She knew he wouldn't do it, or at least she prayed he wouldn't. Deep down the brunette knew Stiles would do anything, and that meant anything, to protect the people he loved.

"I'm going to make your best friend kill you, Stiles. And you're going to let him. Because just like you, they're all going to die. Everyone touched by an Oni's blade. Unless Scott kills you first."

Harper absentmindedly squeezed Stiles' hand, if not for his comfort then for her own. The Nogitsune's words made her nervous, hell, they made everyone nervous. Stiles' life was on the line here, and maybe the rest of Beacon Hills' too.