Reaping Day: Aaliyah, District 9

Name: Aaliyah Summers

Age: 15

Appearance: wavy black hair that changes daily, dark green eyes, slender but strong, short, 112 pounds

Personality: nice, tough, quiet, smart, loving, discreet but friendly, trust issues

Played by: @anuoluapo

______________

'The sound of a young boy crying disturbs my sleep, I groan and find my youger brother Alex on the floor wrapped in swaddling clothes. He's just two years old and has floppy blonde hair. "Shh" I say as I pick him up and comfort him as he keeps crying. "Did you sleep well?" I ask him as he quiets down and pulls at my hair "red" he says. I smile at him and nod, my crazy hair has a tendency to change colour everyday. (A gift I inherited from my mom)

"He knows what today is"

I turn around to the voice and find my sister Amy at the doorway. She is dressed in a light sky blue silk dress and has her brown hair in a ponytail. If today was an ordinary day I would have said she looked pretty but, today was reaping day and she only looked good because today was reaping. I sigh as I stand up still holding Alex. I walk over to Amy "take Alex, I'm going to get changed." She looks up at me with her light green eyes wide with fear. "I'm scared, I want mommy." I kneel next to her and say, "well mommy isn't here and you have to be strong ok?" I say more harshly then I intended to, I shouldn't lay all my hunger on her. After all this was her first reaping and it was natural for her to be scared. I sigh and cup her face, "I'm sorry A, but you've got me and you will not be chosen cause I will protect you." She nods as tears begin to fall on her face and she hugs me. I walk towards the bath and step in at least she was safe, she wasn't taking any terrasae, unlike me.

As the cold water hits my face, all I think about are my parents and the accident that took their lives, they had died protecting me and even though it was two years ago, I still blame myself cause if not for me............. I sigh as I turn the shower and dry my body and my original black hair now turned red and put on a lilac dress that once belonged to my mom, it's tight at the top and flair at the bottom, I do my hair in a mermaid style and he'd back out to join Amy and Alex. Amy gasps as she sees me. "You look pretty Allie"

"Not as pretty as you A" I say and link our arms together "let's go."

As we head out I say a quick greeting to Macy our next door neighbour. She's a sweet 42 year old lady who sometimes cook meals for us. Ever since our percentage died I took over as the head of the family, hunting and providing meals on the table to keep us alive.

We reach the town square and I walk over to where the 16 year olds are seated, here in district 9 our escort is a woman named Febie. I watch as she mounts the stage when someone nudges me, it's Kyle and Kayla my best friends who are also twins we all hunt together in the forbidden forest to feed our families (their father is dead and their mother is crippled)

"Hey Aaliyah" Kyle says looking at me. "You look great"

I smile "you too." They are the only two I trust outside my family.

"You worried?" Kayla asks.

"Only for Amy" I reply.

"She'll be fine" she assures me.

I nod and turn my attention back to the stage where Febie puts her hand into the bowl containing the names if the girl tributes.

"And this years female tribute is.................."

I cross my fingers behind my back praying it wasn't me.

".................................. Amy summers"

"What?" I say as I watch her make her way to the stage with small steps and tears running down her cheeks.

I look at the stage back to her, and without thinking I cry out.

"Amy, no stop, I volunteer!" I yell as I shove her aside despite her kicking and crying, Kyle grabs her while Kayla grabs Alex. "I'll take care if them" she mouths at me.

"Thank you" I mouth back as I mount the stage with clenched fists.

"What's your name sweetie"

"Aaliyah Summers" I replied

"Well, give it up for this years female tribute Aaliyah Summers!!"

I gulp as the entire district 9 gives me the traditional salute.

I gulp and space out as I think about what I have just done, this was not good, I'm sure I was going to die even before the games started.

"And the make tribute is Derek Halseoff"

I whip my head around to find him mounting the stage confidently.

Hmm, why does that name sound familiar? I ask myself as I realize that he was Macy's son.

Great!! Just when I thought my day couldn't get worse!!

We shake hands and the peacemakers lead us away.

-Aaliyah(anuoluapo)