•{Boyf Riends}•- Hanahaki

Art Credit: Hanahaki, Similar Worlds

Strap in, children. This one is a real ride...

~BiCeratops

•×°×•

!Warning: angst, blood, gore, hospital, medical stuff

Michael's POV:

I run into the bathroom, feeling a coughing fit coming on. I knew I shouldn't have even tried to sit with him at lunch today, but I couldn't help it. I had been selfish, now look where it landed me: throwing up those damn bloody petals directly into the toilet bowl as I knelt on the dark grey tile.

My chest heaves as I eject the firey-orange petals from my lungs. Inside the white bowl rests the orange petals with blood soaking through them, dying the water a pinkish color. My heaving stops as the last petal and few blood drops fall from my mouth.

Tears breach my vision as the burning in my lungs becomes nearly unbearable. Coughing up the flowers brought a scratch into my throat. I rush out to a water fountain and take three huge gulps of water.

My coughing ceases as the scratchiness is soothed by the cold water. I takes a few deep breaths and go back into the bathroom. I head into the stall and pull my phone out of my pocket, sitting on the closed toilet lid.

The screen lights up to read 12:25 pm. Wow, I couldn't even last a full ten minutes with him. Lunch started at 12:15, and I had been in the bathroom for at least five minutes. Tears sting the corners of my eyes as I read a text from him.

Player Two: Where are you?

Player Two: Why did you run away?

Well, I guess he noticed that I bolted away. At least he didn't see where I went. I call Brooke and explain to her what happened. She says to meet her in her nook behind the school.

I exit the bathroom carefully, checking around just in case Jeremy went looking for me. Just as I thought, the coast is clear. I glance into the cafeteria and notice he isn't in there anymore. Odd, maybe he actually did go looking for me. As I head out to meet up with Brooke, I text him a quick response, hoping to satisfy his urge to find me.

Player One: Don't worry about me. I just have food poisoning.

Player One: Mama *tried* making fish tacos last night... :P

Sorry, mama.

I head outside and walk to the spot behind the school hidden by the trees. I push back the branches to reveal our little nook that Brooke and I set up a while ago. The spot no one else knew about.

There was a small fountain that plugged into the wall plug that happened to be near one of the trees against the side of the school. There was also a small wooden bench that Brooke and I had dragged here last winter break when no one else was at school.

Come to think of it, not even Jeremy knew about this little nook. Brooke was the one who showed me in the first place and made me swear not to tell or show anyone.

I sit down on the bench and close my eyes, taking in the noise surrounding me. The trickling water and soft chirps fill my body with a sense of inner peace. I take a deep breath in.

Soon enough, Brooke pushes aside the tree branches and heads into the nook. She flashes me with a weak, yet genuine smile as she plops herself down onto the bench next to me.

"It's not too late to get the surgery-" she starts, trying to give me some glimpse of hope in my recent sea of darkness. I cut her off. "And stop loving him? That's why I haven't taken it yet. Why would I ever want that? What is life without feeling?" I scoff.