(14) The Story

Nicks POV
         We all sat in a circle on the ground with a small fire blazing in front of us. Nightfall had come, and we were all sore and exhausted from our recent battle. It was nearly silent, the only sounds being our light breathing. After the battle Jon had managed to heal Ashlie's foot, but there wasn't much he could do for Tommy and I, since he was tired and had healed Ashlie. Though he promised to heal all our wounds in the morning. "So, Nick, I have a question." Uni suddenly asked, breaking the silence and cutting through the thick atmosphere.

     "Hm?" I hummed, "How did you survive? You fell off a cliff, and with a Planchazo at your side at that." He asked curiously. I sighed quietly, I had been anticipating this question since I got back. The others looked at me with curious eyes as well, and I smiled lightly. "Well, I guess I should start at when I fell..."

                            *Flashback*
             I stood in front of the large beast, thinking of my next move carefully. I noticed the ravine behind blue, and I was struck with a rather terrifying idea. If I could get Blue over that cliff, the battle would end...But then, what about me? I glanced from Blue to the ravine a few times, trying to find another way out of this. But soon it dawned on me that there was no other way, and I sighed. I looked at Tommy, giving him a sad smile. Then, I ran forward, tackling a snarling Blue off the cliff. It all happened so quickly that I barely heard Tommy calling after me over the sound of the wind and my heartbeat.

         I didn't bothering screaming as Blue and I fell, not even as I hit a rock painfully as I fell, bouncing off it only to hit another. The same happened to the beast beside me, I felt my clothes rip on impact, and my skin get cut open on sharp rocks. The ravine was much darker and deeper than I had expected, and for a moment I was unable to think. All I could think about was the fact that in a minute I was going to be nothing but a crushed pile of meat at the bottom of a large ravine. Then I realized: Nick, you idiot! You're a vampire. I gasped at the realization, closing my eyes tightly. I tried to ignore the whimpers and growls of the beast beside me as I focused as hard as I could. I soon felt the transformation take place, and when I opened my eyes again, I was much smaller. It worked! I cheered silently as I flapped my small bat wings, attempting to fly away. I hadn't used my bat form in quite a while, but the sight of the ground only a few seconds away was as good a reason as any to fly as hard as I could. I flapped my wings, and for a few seconds I had stopped falling. Though those few triumphant moments were very short lived as a flailing foot made contact with me, slapping me into the ground. I hit the ground roughly, and the last thing I heard was the loud crack as Blue landed on the rock next to me motionlessly. Then, my consciousness slipped away with seemingly my life.

           As I came too -who knows how long after- the first thing I was aware of was pain. My left leg was in pain, and my left arm as in agony along with an apendige I didn't recognize in my groggy, pained state. I groaned, my eyes fluttering open slowly. I was laying on my side on the hard ground, my breath shaking. As my fluctuating vision finally cleared, I saw that my hand was in my perifial vision, leading my to realize that I was now in my human form. My drifting eyes also landed on the broken form lying next to me. Blue.... I thought weakly. His body was limp, but his chest seemed to be shakily rising and falling, but I wasn't aware enough to believe it yet.

       My hearing was seemingly gone, the only sounds I could hear was a high-pitched sound seemingly ringing from within my aching head. I attempted to move, only to regret it as soon as it happened. My body exploded in pain, and I gasped, which only led into a coughing fit. My body wracked in agony, and as my coughing ended, so did my waking state.

         I awakened again later to the sun shining into the ravine, and I groaned again. The pain was still there but it was duller now, not much, but still duller. Then, I was aware of a sound near me. My hearing was back at least, but I wished it wasn't as soon as I registered the sound. It was a whimpering, whining sound of agony. I slowly opened my eyes again, staring at the heartbreaking scene ahead of me. Blue was awake now, and his body was shivering painfully. He was whining in pain and scratching at the ground, as if attempting to get up. I moved slightly, ignoring the painful protests of my body. I was able to flip on to my stomach and prop myself agonizingly on to my scraped elbows. I dragged myself forward a bit, not noticing the strange weight that was now resting painfully on my back. I crawled until I was by the beast's face. His eyes were closed in obvious torture, but as he sniffed the air once more, his eyes opened. I looked into his glazed eyes, immediately noticing their change. They were back to their deep brown color, and Blue was no longer growling, only whining. 

      I slowly reached my hand out, stroking his furry cheek. He looked at me, almost in a fearful way. "D-Don't worry, bud, it'll be okay..." I whispered in a weak, croaking voice. He whimpered in response, and I frowned.  I glanced at his body, seeing that it was littered in guts and scrapes. His ribs were clearly broken, and it seemed that  his right shoulder was broken and the stone-like pieces on it were crumbled and broken. I then noticed that there  was blood trailing down his large chin, and I felt a pain in my heart. He had internal bleeding, he wouldn't make it out of this alive, there was no way. He was only suffering...And it was then that I knew what I had to do.

Welp, I'm back! And that was kinda sad, honestly. There will be a part 2 for this chapter, so keep your eyes peeled for that! And if you've stuck around for this long, then I'd like to sincerely thank you for your patience during my absence! See ya next time!