(5) Taming The Beast

Cory's POV
       I began to groggily wake up to the feeling of someone shaking my shoulder. "Cory...Cory wake up...!" A familiar voice was whispering. I groaned, covering my ears, and pushing him away. "Uni, stoppp.." I whined. "Cory, pleaseeee!" He quietly whined back. I sighed slowly opening my lense. He was sitting right infront of me, on his knees. I immediantly noticed that his eyebrows were furrowed in confusion, and I sat up, stretching a bit. "What's up, Uni?" I asked, yawning. "Okay...This is gonna sound weird...But, are my senses just off, or does Nick have a cat on his lap?" He questioned.

      I stared at him, dumbfounded, but turned to look anyway, and to my suprise, an auburn cat was curled up on the sleeping Nick's lap, breathing softly as it slept. I looked around, "Wait, where's Tommy!?" I whisper-yelled. Uni moved his head around, "Oh...I didn't even notice he was gone..." He mumbled. "You're the best friend ever, Uni." I teased. "Sorry, I like cats!" He exclaimed quietly.  I chuckled, then looked back at the cat. "How'd he get here?" I wondered allowed. "I'm not sure, no normal cat could survive woods like these..." Uni answered.

     I heard whispers, so I looked over, and I was suprised to see Ashlie and Jon both sitting up, looking at the cat and whispering. Suddenly I noticed Nick shift slightly, and a moment later he slowly opened his eyes. He noticed us first, "Uh, good morning...?" He said, obviously uncomfortable with all our stares. "I like your little friend." Jon said. "My little what-" Nick began, but cut himself off as he noticed the cat on his lap. He seemed freaked out at first, but soon calmed down. He slowly lifted his hand, stroking the creatures back gently. "How'd you get here, little guy?" He whispered, and a small purr escaped the cat. Then, Nicks eyes tracked to the middle of the clearing, and he gasped. "Where's Tommy!?" He exclaimed looking around.

      At the sound of Nicks loud voice, and his suddenly tense body, the cat's yellow eyes opened. He slowly lifted his head, looking around in annoyance. "Morning, kitty!" Jon exclaimed, and the cat looked at him, it's eyes blazing. The cat hissed at him, making Jon jump back. The cat got up, slowly walking off Nicks lap, and stretching, but it winced, as though in pain. It looked at Nick, it's tail twitching, "Meow!" It exclaimed. Nick looked confused, "Are you hungry?" Nick asked, and if it's possible, the cat seemed to roll it's eyes.

     It walked into the middle of the clearing, and stood still, then it's body began convulsing. It squeezed it's eyes shut, and clenched it's teeth. It's fur puffed out, and I heard a loud crack, coming for the cat, and I watched in horror as the cat's bones began to break and change. I heard Ashlie let out a disgusted whimper, and the cat let out a pained growl. It's bones changed, and I saw it's body growing slightly bigger, it's hair growing shorter as it grew. After a few moments, the cat began appearing human. "T-Tommy...?" Nick stuttered,  as after a few more moments, Tommy had replaced the cat in the middle of the clearing. He was on his hands and knees, panting heavily, his body shaking.

      "I.....R-Really....REALLY...Hate doing that...." He said between pants. Nick ran to his side, "Are you okay!? That seemed painful!" Nick exclaimed. Tommy let out an airy laugh, "Heh....Painful is an understatement..." He croaked, and after a few minutes, he was recovered enough to explain himself. He explained how he wake up to Nick having a nightmare, and figured a cat would comfort him. "You'd put yourself through that kind of pain...For me?" Nick said, suprised. Tommy nodded, "Anything, brutha..." He Saud with a soft smile. "Hey Tomcat, can you walk?" I said with a serious, yet teasing tone. "Tomcat, Carl?" He teased back. I nodded, "If I'm Carl, you're Tomcat, Tomcat." I continued. He chuckled, "I'm good with that...And I'm not sure..." He answered. I nodded, "Can you try to stand?" I asked. He nodded, shakily making his way to his feet, though he winced.

    "What hurts?" Nick asked. "Aside from everything? My leg, mostly, but I'm fine." He said. "You sure?" I asked, "Positive, Carl." He said. "Alright..." I mumbled. We gathered our stuff, and went to continue on our journey. "That was truly an amazing transformation, Tommy." Dawn said to Tommy as we walked, and Tommy just shrugged, "It isn't THAT cool." He said. "Hey Tom, I have a question." Ashlie said, "If you're going to question where my clothes go when I'm a cat, don't bother. I don't even know." He said, silencing Ashlie, and making the rest of us chuckled.

     After a few hours of walking, we approached a very interesting place. We stopped infront of what appeared to be a line of darkness. On our side of the line, the trees were flourishing, and the sun shone bright, but on the other side...The trees were dead, the ground was dry, and darkness consumed every inch of it. "Nope." Tommy said simply, shaking his head, "Ain't going in there." He said simply. "This is where the map says to go..." Dawn said hesitantly. "Are you serious!? You're ACTUALLY considering goin in there!?" He exclaimed. "Oh come on, Tom, what could possibly hap-" I began, but Tommy covered my mouth before I could finish. "Jinx us, Carl, and I'll feed you to the Howlers!" He threatened, silencing me.

     Dawn began to walk forward, crossing the line, and we all followed, Tommy the most hesitant. Nick sighed, "Just c'mon, Tommy, the faster we go through here, the faster we get to leave." Nick sighed, grabbing Tommys arm and walking forward. I followed, and was suprised when, right as I crossed the line, the air grew chilly. I sighed, This is gonna be a loonngg walk... I thought bitterly.

      We had been walking through the forest for half an hour now, but it didn't seem like it was ending anytime soon. My thoughts were suddenly cut off as a loud crack was heard from the brush farther away from us, making us all stop dead in our tracks. We all looked at the brush, knowing we'd all heard it. Then, suddenly the biggest Planchazo that I'd ever seen jumped out of the brush. "STUPID OMINIOUS FOREST!!!" Tommy screamed. It was two times bigger, if not bigger, than the Planchazo that Uni and I had faced when we met Tommy. It was baring it's teeth, it's body tense in a defensive posture, but there was one thing that REALLY caught my eye. The whites of it's eyes were black, and it's pupils were red, and it's irises were diamond shaped. That's...Strange...I thought.

      Though, my thoughts were cut short as the creature leapt forward, and I barely dodged it's attack. I stumbled sideways, and my eye widened as I saw that it was going for Uni. It leapt at him, and thinking fast, I pulled my bow off my back, along with an arrow. I loaded the arrow and immediantly released, hitting the creature in the side. It let out a pained scream, missing it's target and hitting the ground beside Uni. Uni gasped, running in my direction, but the creature quickly got up, chasing him. It leapt in the air, and before I could load and arrow, he leapt on Uni's back, tackling him to the ground. Uni cried out as the creatures claws dug into his shoulders. I saw Tommy jump towards the creature, but the creature wagged it's tail, sending Tommy flying a few feet away, hitting the ground with a thump. Ashlie attempted to do the same, but the creature did the same to her.

     "Hey, Hairball!" I yelled, grabbing the creatures attention. The creature looked up at me, it's teeth bared. I grabbed another arrow, "Eat this!" I screamed, shutting the creature in the about. It screeched, releasing Uni, and launching at me. It landed infront of me, swinging it's talons. I screamed at the creatures large talons slashed across my chest. "Cory! No!" I heard Uni screamed. I fell down on my back, but quickly sat up and began scooting backwards, away from the creature. The creature began to slowly walked towards me as I backed up. I felt my heart skip a beat as my back pressed against something hard, oh no... I thought as I realized that I couldn't back up anymore. The creature was still walking towards me, it's teeth bared. It was no more than two feet away from me, when suddenly, "Wait!" I heard Jon yell. He leapt infront of me, "No!" I yelled. He placed his hands on the creatures furry chest, as if trying to stop him. "Please wait!" He cried. The creature growled, and I shut my eye as I heard a loud snarl, and a loud gasp from Jon. I waited a moment, but I heard no scream, so I slowly opened my lense.

I saw Jons hands still on the creatures chest, but a blue glow was emitting from it's chest, and Jon was staring at it in awe. Jon cupped his hands, and slowly pulled them away from the creatures chest. I stared in awe as a large, transparent, light blue, glowing, heart hovered about his hands. He took a step back, holding it. "It's soul..." He murmured. The creature was also staring at the glowing heart, it took a step back, sitting down like a tamed dog, staring at the 'soul'.

A/N, wow, THAT was intense!!! I loved this chapter, and I hope you did too! I ALSO can't wait to write chapters 6 and 7!!!! And as always, I HOPE YOU HAVE AN AMAZING DAY, AND GOODBYE PEEPS!!!!!