• seventeen •

Start from the beginning

He frowned. "I could have sworn you'd feel it more than I could." He looked at my hair. "Drop the glamour, maybe that will help."

I struggled to find words. "It's not a glamour. I didn't glamour my hair black."

He tilted his head as he looked at me, his tone was one of curiosity instead of the anger I thought I'd hear. "Well, that's a problem"

I swallowed. "This morning, I sat on the throne and..." I shook my head. "I don't know how to explain it other than I felt dark magic accept me." I shrugged. "It's in me now. I've been trying to change it back it to normal since this morning. Nothing has worked."

I watched him nod as I spoke and when I finished, a wicked smile broke on his lips. "I had a feeling that could have happened when you became queen. The throne answers to power, after all. I have an idea of what may help." He paused for a moment. "Do you trust me?"

I nodded.

"We may have to kiss."

I snorted a laugh, unbelieving.

"I'm being serious."

I shook my head as he spoke.

"I don't think Light magic has left you, I would have felt that. It's probably dormant like mine was. You might just need a power boost."

I gave a short laugh trying to sound casual, but really, it was to hide my nervousness. "I'm so glad you can talk about this like it's just jump-starting a car," I stated sarcastically. Kiss Julian? Again? If Vy didn't want to kill me before, she would now.

He smiled and I felt my cheeks warm. "Come on, Emylin. I can't find this place on my own. I need your help. Besides, if this doesn't work, if we can't awaken the Light magic in you, we may need to go back to the Keep and find a different way to go into Elysium. And that will be an even bigger problem altogether."

I sighed, defeated. I shrugged, looking away to hide my smile. "I guess."

When I looked at him, he was much closer and for a moment I was transported back to Tartus. He was gentle then just like now. His hand reached for my cheek and he gently pulled me in his direction.

My eyes didn't leave his as he pulled me closer. He placed his hand on my hip securely and I closed my eyes when we were inches apart. His thumb graced my lower lip and I found myself swallowing my nervousness.

Electricity sizzled between us as he neared and I found that my skin began to tingle where he touched. I leaned closer, eager to close the distance between us. Eager to feel the warmth of his skin.

He stopped. "Well, that worked."

I felt like I was in a hazy dream. I didn't want to leave the comfortable fog my brain was in. "Hmm?"

"I found the entrance." In the next moment, he was gone. I almost fell forward as he left, since he no longer held me in place. I felt terribly cold where his hands had been and I felt my core constrict a little at the sudden emptiness I felt.

I opened my eyes and blinked, trying to rid myself of the fog. I turned my head and watched him disappear through the mountainside.

I blinked again and jogged to where he had been before. He had disappeared through the craggy rocks, as if it had swallowed him whole.