04| The Past

BURN

4. The Past

 The Past

♣♣♣

EMBRY had taken Kalina to First Beach where they both sat down on the wet sand. Kalina sat with her legs crossed, facing Embry and sat so still that you would think that she was a statue. Embry, however, didn't face Kalina but instead looked out towards the ocean with his arms resting against his knees. They sat in silence and Kalina, for the first time in her immortal life, her head was completely silent as she lost herself staring at the young man. Out of curiosity, Kalina reached her hand out and lightly touched his upper arm; staring in awe at the contrast between his copper skin and her pale skin, which made her dark nail polish stand out. Her touch pulled Embry out of his daze as his head whipped around to look down at her. What surprised him was that her eyes remained green somehow which led him to ask; "Your eyes?"

A light chuckle escaped her lips as her hand that wasn't touching his upper arm, reached up to tuck a piece of hair behind her ear. "It's one of my abilities. I can manipulate minds to see what I want them to see," she answered him before she closed her eyes.

Suddenly, the beach changed into a large rainforest causing Embry to let out a gasp. He could feel raindrops hit his face as he looked around the forest with wide eyes. Slowly, the forest faded back into the beach making he look over at Kalina to see her irises were glowing red. The red faded back into green as she smiled brightly at him. "What else can you do?" he asked when he realised what she had said before.

He watched as a red mist formed around her hands before she twisted her wrist causing the rocks and shells that were laying on the sand beside them to float. "That's just a small portion of my abilities," her voice spoke inside his head as she smiled at him.

The mist faded from her hands making the rocks and shells fall back onto the sand.

As Embry stared down at Kalina, he swallowed loudly before asking; "How did you become a vampire?"

His question caused her smile faded and her eyes to flash gold for a moment before returning back to green. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to," he quickly blurted out, not wanting to upset her.

She laughed at his nervousness before she reached her hands up, so they were resting on either side of his face. "It will be easier to show you," she informed him before her eyes glowed red again and the red mist returned to her hands.

Embry closed his eyes as Kalina showed him her memories.

It was like he was experiencing her memories for himself as he was seeing them through her eyes. A loud growl escaped from his lips as he heard her cries for a man to get off her, but the man wasn't listening to her pleas. She didn't hide anything from him as she had five hundred years to deal with circumstances that contributed to her becoming her vampire.

Once the memories had finished, Kalina removed her hands from Embry's face and placed her hands in her lap; waiting for him to talk. What he did next surprised her as his arms wrapped around her waist and pulled her to his chest. She froze as she was unsure of how to response. After a few moments of Embry hugging her, Kalina slowly raised her arms to wrapped around his shoulders; hugging him back. She rested her head on his chest and smiled as she could hear his steady heartbeat under her ear. "Did you kill him?" he asked her which she wouldn't have heard if she didn't have enhanced hearing as his voice was muffled due to his mouth resting against the top of her head.

"I did. But only because I discovered I wasn't his first victim...nor his last," she answered him, burying herself further into his chest.

"Good," was all he said as they remained hugging while he slowly lowed them to the ground, not caring about the sand now covering them.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath in, taking in his scent which comforted her. Unlike most vampires, Kalina had extreme self-control which she was known for having even during her time as newborn. So, her being this close to Embry, she didn't have the urge to rip his throat out. She felt his fingers stroking her back which sent shivers down her spine which surprised her as she hadn't felt shivers like that since she was human. This moment made her feel human for the first time since over five hundred years. And she loved it. 

♣♣♣