The professor, who had just looked up from the book he was reading while moving to class, immediately noticed her crestfallen expression and hunched shoulders

The professor, who had just looked up from the book he was reading while moving to class, immediately noticed her crestfallen expression and hunched shoulders. A strange feeling passed through him, causing his fists to clench at his sides and his knuckles to whiten.

She didn't notice him as fast as he had noticed her, he noted. She seemed to have withdrawn so deep inside her mind that she looked right through him.

Like he wasn't even there.

Furrowing a brow, he closed the book and slipped it inside his briefcase. His stormy gaze watching her robotic movements the whole time. He did not move. He simply waited for her to come to him.

And she did, instinctively.

"Hey." He muttered once she had reached him.

Gwen's response was to blink at him, as if she had just noticed he was there.

Her lips parted but no sound came out.

The professor laid his palms flat against her shoulders, attempting to offer as much comfort as he could in such a public and dangerous place, not truly caring if anybody was watching.

His stormy grey eyes watched her intently as his thumbs moved in circles around the skin of her shoulder blades. "What's wrong? Did something happen?"

His touch seemed to awaken her.

Drawing in a sharp breath, she felt her dark eyes widen, his affection catching her off guard.

Gwen gave him a small, polite and obviously fake smile before stepping away from his touch and muttering, "I'll tell you later." Then, she proceeded with taking a few steps in the direction where her professor had come from.

It was pointless, Nathaniel closed the distance, blind to all possible prying eyes. ''Where the Hell do you think you're going?"

"I have an errand to run." Her brown eyes flickered left and right, making sure nobody was watching them and fidgeting when she saw a couple of students glancing their way.

One small step back was enough to give their bodies some sort of proper distance, to give her organism air that it didn't have to share with his, to clear her mind and wake up from the trance he so effortlessly put her under.

"I'll come by later." She promised, her voice calm and steady. "With food. Does Chinese sound good?"

He grasped her shoulders again, this time tightening his hold so that she couldn't slip away. "Don't try to avoid the question, Guinevere."

Her next sentence was a harsh whisper. "People are watching, Nate. Let go of me and go inside before they start wondering where you are."

Before rumours start spreading. . . Again.