Wonders

" What do you mean Agent 3?" Marie's strained voice could be heard over the line.

  Coral spoke with disbelief, how on earth could Marie not believe her?
  " Listen, we didn't find much of the type of clues you were asking for but me and Agent 8 saw it all! Please, you have to believe me! We can return to the station again tomorrow and-,"

   Marie drew a heavy sigh, " N-no I don't need you two to take another trip back there again. It's too risky for just the two of you!"

Confused, Coral stammered, " But I-I thought you just said that you didn't want to hear such nonsense? Did you suddenly change your mind?"

"If that is what you witnessed then so be it, I was not there and I shouldn't be making a fuss right now. I suppose Callie's disappearance is making it harder for me to control my patience," Marie mourned.

   " Oh, well.. I could relate in some way..," Coral replied as she quickly glanced to Kai and back to the subway's window. She remembered the times that she worried for him when he went off on his own.

   Marie cleared her throat, " Erhm..well, I must go Agent 3. I have a tight schedule today, please return to the base safely."

    Agent 2 and 3 exchanged their goodbyes over the line and the click of a beep ended the call.

  Kai's wary and watchful eyes stared out into the empty window of the subway. He had been reflecting on the little memories from his past. He hoped to gain at least his happy memories back, maybe some of the time he had once spent with his sister. The feeling of a gentle hand grazed his shoulder.

    " You okay Agent 8?" Coral asked, aware that she wasn't allowed to speak of their names in public while on a mission.

    His eyes met hers, " Im fine.. I guess I was thinking about the past again.." he then sat up in a less sluggish way, " So..how did the talk with Agent 2 go? I wasn't.. listening at all. My thoughts tune everything out."

   Coral shrugged, " Eh, it was alright. She didn't believe me at first but she eventually did. She says when she's under a lot of stress, her patience runs out quickly.. or something like that."

  Kai nodded, " Well, at least she had a understandable reason."

  Coral then took a seat by Kai, her tired legs and eyes gave in as she leaned her head on his shoulder.

   Her voice hushed, " Tell me, what did that guy who spoke Octarian say? You..didn't looked too fond of whatever it was."

     He shifted the weight of his elbow that sat on the ledge of the subway's window in a  uncomfortable manner. Coral waited for a response with worried eyes until he began to finally speak.
       "Ah well..he just made a snarky comment about you and me..it wasn't too bad but he said how it was odd and rare to see a couple like us these days," Kai said.

      " Ah, I see.. he must have been referring to us being different then.." Coral concluded, she then thought for a moment and spoke once more , "Hmm..well he did look..—how do I word this? Not really a Inkling but he could be an  Octoling? Or both. Perhaps, his parents were just like us then."

   " I suppose so," Kai agreed, " I never thought of that ever being possible.."

     Coral then pulled herself closer to Kai as he placed his arm over her back, the warmth of his body replaced the chilly air that surrounded the subway.

      Coral then chuckled, " Ahaha.. I'm sorry..I'm tired but I have so many things that I've always been so  curious about you. Do..you happen to remember how you learned the Inklish language? I remember when I first met you..you didn't exactly speak it as fluent as you are now."

         Kai smiled, " No worries love, I'm sure there's not a lot of things I still don't know about myself either. But anyways..yes, I do remember since it was not very long ago."
  He paused but Coral's curious eyes stopped him from keeping her question waiting,
      " When I decided that I wanted to come to the surface.. I figured that it would be best to learn Inklish. So, I studied the language as well as other things on my own time in the subway of the Deep Sea metro since there was not really much to do but pace  the floors of the train or talk to other passengers.."

   " I see..well maybe one day you could teach me Octarian," Coral tiredly said as she began to drift away from her awake state.

   " That would be quite nice," Kai said as he turned his head back to window of the train. It would take a while to get back to the base.

____________________________________

  The two agents report back to the base as soon as the train arrived at Inkopolis Square station. The sun had already rose but it could barely peak through the November clouds. They made their way to the "sewer hole" and made sure no one followed first before jumping in it.

They both stepped away from the grates of the hole after entering and found Agent 4 on the couch, he was fidgeting with the Hero dualies.

" Hey Agent 4." Coral greeted him with a smile and Kai just gave a little wave.

Agent 4 looked up at the two other Agents and smiled as well, " Heyo, how was the mission?"

" Eh, it was alright," Coral shrugged, she then asked , " Does Agent 2 happen to be here right now?"

" No, you two missed her. She had some business to do out in Skipper Pavilion or something. She told me that she needed you two to stick around here until she comes back," Agent 4 said.

" I figured.." Coral mumbled

" Do you know when she'll be back?" Kai asked as he took off his ink tank and placed it near the ammo box.

Agent 4 thought for a moment but shrugged,
" Nah.. she never told me. Sorry about that."

" It's fine, I hope she comes back in time for lunch..this place literally has no food," Coral mumbled.

The two waited for an hour and Marie eventually showed up. They reported everything as Marie wrote it down.

" Never would have guessed that Octavio would ever go to the extent of working with our own kind," Marie mumbled as she tucked away the small notebook that she wrote everything down.

" A-actually.. we're not so sure if the gang leader was even an Inkling. Me and Coral came to conclusion that the leader must be a..mix of both Inkling and Octoling.. I- I don't know. But it would make sense since Octavio would choose a gang that could communicate with his kind, the leader was able to speak Octarian tongue," Kai said.

Marie thought for a moment, " Hmm.. I'll try my best to achieve as much research as I can on this gang and their leader.. In the meantime, I'll..need you to go back there later ..".

" B-but didn't you say it was too risk-," Coral abruptly stammered out.

" With Agent 4 on your side," Marie finished with annoyance, " I need the three of you to trace down this.. mixed leader that you speak of.."

Agent 4 perked up, " That's fine by me."

" Alright.. as long as the three of us are able to take on these guys again..then we should be fine.." Kai said.

Marie placed her pencil on the side of her ear," Now, I want you to not be too reckless for this mission, it's going to be a interrogation. I just need you to ask him the following questions that I'll be giving you three."

" And if he doesn't oblige?" Kai asked with concern.

" Threaten him with your weapons? If he still refuses to answer then prison will be where him and his little gang go instead of rehab," Marie said with unsureness, ".. I don't know.. I'm sure you three could figure something out.."

" We'll see," Coral said.

Authors note: just a heads up, if you didn't remember, I'll be taking a break as soon as Super Smash Bros Ultimate releases. It's in about 2 or 3 weeks I believe.