Nightmares n' Flashbacks

The night lingered as Kai stared at the ceiling, lost in his thoughts.
" From enemies to friends, an Octoling and a Inkling."
In his days in the Deep Sea Metro, he wondered what it would be like when Inklings and Octolings would both lived in harmony again. He sighed and closed his eyes as he drifted off into a dream.

.........................................................

Kai watched carefully as four figures entered the facility that he was currently guarding. He looked over his shoulder and saw an Octoling girl.
Something about her was familiar: magenta hair, Octoling goggles, and a golden ring with a octopus carved onto it.
   " It's Agent 3, Agent 2, unidentified Male Inkling and that cuttlefish bastard." The Octoling girl says angrily still focused on Agent 3 and  Cap'n Cuttlefish.
   "Where am I?" Kai asks the Octoling girl still unaware that he is in a dream.
  She doesn't respond and starts to crawl to a corner where the Male inkling and agent 2 were heading.
  " Brother, I'm going to surprise attack them. Try to stay low and take on Agent 3 and Cuttlefish." She whispers and then she super jumps to a platform above them.
     "B-brother? Wait what? But Coral is my friend." He says confused but once again, no answer.

   Magenta hair, Octoling goggles, and a golden ring with a octopus carved onto it.
   " Sister....Alana?" He realizes.
   Everything from the day he met Agent 3 came back to him through his dream. It was about 2 years ago, the day before he became Agent 8.
    Kai watched in fear as his sister marched into death for the second time.
  " WAIT-STOP DON'T GO THERE!!!" Kai screams as he tries to super jump to the platform above.
   It was too late, he couldn't save her. He closed his eyes and fell to his knees.

   Earlier...
    "We shouldn't have taken on patrol today" Alana tells Kai.
   " Why not? It's the perfect day to escape this hell." Kai says.
" It's dangerous, all of the spawn points here are down because of no power!" Alana says raising her voice.
   " W-we just have to stick as a team and when the sun goes down, we can use the darkness as advantage to escape!!" He says trying to prove the point of going to the facility.

   " It's my fault." Kai sobbed  with his fists clenched and head down. He had just lost a sister..a friend.
  He suddenly remembered that Coral was still present in the area and watched in fear as she turned around and saw him and she jumped down from a nearby  platform above him.

     Soon he and Coral / Agent 3 engaged into a fight.
Coral constantly sent  autobombs out and somehow would get specials quickly.
   It overwhelmed him, and he even purposely tried to get splatted so that he could wake up from this Flashback nightmare but it wouldn't work.

  Suddenly the ground started to shake and everything was a flash of light as both Kai and Coral fell down hard into the Deep Sea Metro.

      .........................................................

The sunlight burned down onto Kai's cheeks and he slowly opened his eyes and rubbed his forehead.
  He looked around quickly and sighed from relief.
Something didn't sit right though. He always knew that him and Coral met on bad terms but he never remembered that it was also the day of his sister's death. Tears formed in his eyes and he sat on the couch sobbing quietly while watching the bustling streets outside the apartment window.
  He then read the little digital clock on the kitchen counter. 8:30 a.m.
   Kai got up and grabbed his journal and a small pouch that Coral gave him to keep his mem cakes in  and headed to the kitchen counter.
He took out a Mem Cake of an autobomb. With a click of a pen, he started writing.

Its friendly face, its easy stride—
That's all a front. Let me be blunt;

It leaves you with nowhere to hide.

" Good morning, o-oh what's this" Coral says out of nowhere.
Kai quickly closes his journal and puts his hands over the top of it.
"N-Nothing really!" He says nervously and tucks it into his pockets.
" Hmm..whatever you say." Coral shrugs and goes to fridge to grab a jug of OJ.
" Want some?" She offers
" I'm fine..thanks." Kai says in a low quiet voice with his eyes averted away from her.
Coral looks at him with her eyebrows furrowed as she pours orange juice into her glass.
" mm, okay tell me if you need anything Kai." She says and makes her way back to her bedroom.
"Something is unusual about him today, maybe I'll talk to him later." Coral thinks.

Kai sighs and he decides to clear his mind by watching some Live turf wars. He didn't want to deal with the past.
"The past is the past and the present is new." He remembers  from what his sister used to say about the stories of when Inklings and Octolings all lived as one.

Authors note: yes, sorry I know this was shorter than usual. I just got back from my little vacation. I'm kinda running out of ideas lol, please let me know what you guys would really like to see in future chapters ( such as things like more turf wars, fluff stuff, salmon run, etc ) Also the unidentified Male inkling is just someone who was supporting agent 2 on a mission :/
Anyways, I'm just developing Kai a little more as he didn't really have much of a backstory besides being with the Octarians and fighting agent 3. Goodnight!