4. Moonlight Passion

2009

     Jasmine woke up to a tap on the shoulder. It was a sleep-deprived Faheem. "The kids really want to speak to you," he said holding out his cell phone.

     She looked over at her husband who was still asleep in a coma.  She grabbed the phone and Faheem walked out of the room to give her privacy. "Hello?" she answered softly into the phone.  She had no idea which one of her kids it was.  Her and her husband had sprung up quite a few through the years.

     "Mommy, it's Paris. What's daddy doing? Is he okay now?" the little 11 year old asked nervously.

     "He'll be okay but he's sleeping right now. Don't worry about anything. Just help Titi Jessica take care of your brothers and sisters, okay?"

     Always respectful, she obeyed immediately.  "Okay, Mommy. I love you."

     "I love you too, baby. I'll call you when Daddy wakes up," Jasmine promised her daughter.

     After they hung up, Jasmine called some of her family members because she knew they were worried. Her mother-in-law and father-in-law were on their way to the hospital along with some of her brother-in-laws. She was a little nervous about seeing Michael's family because of her recent break up with him. She blamed herself for all that was happening. When she was around in his life, Michael wasn't as vulnerable to the vultures circling around him. He couldn't be manipulated.

     Jasmine and Michael had been together for about 20 years. But it wasn't an easy road for them. They had both been the blame, at least one point in the relationship, for giving one another a heartache. 

 1989

     Jasmine and Michael continued speaking with each other over the phone for the next eight months. It came to a point early on when he would send her money for the phone bill.  They became very acquainted with one another and couldn't wait to see each other again. Michael liked her a lot and the feeling was mutual. She was supposed to see him the end of December in New York but some shows were canceled so he had shows to do in Los Angeles starting on January 16. They then decided to make plans to have her come to him on her winter break and visit him for a week. She was extremely nervous as she sat riding alone in the limo to go see him at his home.

     Her Motorola MicroTAC began ringing.  It was her new best friend Janet, someone else she had been chatting it up with for months. "Jan-Jan, I'm so nervous!"

     "Why?" Janet snapped.

     "Because...when I first met him in person, he was just Janet Jackson's brother. But I've been glued to the TV and radio which has magnified him times a million."

     Janet sucked her teeth. "Listen, please don't tell my brother any of what you just told me. He wants you look at him as a normal guy."

     "Yeah, well that's kind of hard."

     Janet sucked her teeth again.

     "Stop," Jasmine laughed. "You're the one who brought me to his concert!"

     "I know and I got cussed out for it. This is partially my fault, I guess." 

     Janet tried calming Jasmine down and it worked for a little while. Once the limo began pulling into the Neverland gates, Jasmine's heart was pounding again.  Out of the window, far in the distance, all she could see were beautiful lights, ones that seemed fit for a county fair.  She had heard about the wonders of Michael's new home but she didn't imagine it to be as breathtaking as it was. And to think the man that this dreamland belonged to had interest in her.  It blew her mind.