2. Thursday

March 3, 1988 

New York City

     Jasmine sat alone in her favorite diner in Manhattan as she waited to be served her pepperoni slice. She was the only customer in that hour of 10 a.m. and business was usually slow around that time.

     She rested her head down on her arm and Rosa, the waiter and wife of the owner, walked over. "What's up, honey? You look down today."

     Jasmine sat up straight and sighed. "I need a drink and not water."

     "You know I can't do that. You're only 20. Tony would kill me."

     "Yea well I'm having a really bad day and I heard drinking your problems away is the way to go."

     "Well someone told you wrong," Rosa replied sharply.

     A few loud bangs on the back door stole Rosa's attention. "Be right back."

     As Rosa went to answer the knocking, Jasmine put her head back down and began listening to her Walkman.  She closed her eyes and allowed her worries to escape into the music.

     A man named Greg Philanganes was the cause of all the ruckus in the back.  He was an old friend of the owner Tony and also a friend and musical partner with Michael Jackson.  They were currently on tour together.

    Tony and Greg hugged and expressed how happy and surprised they were to see each other. Then Greg asked for a favor.  "Hey, I have my friend in the truck over there and he uh, he's not an ordinary guy so he can't be around a crowd..." He seemed to struggle with his words.

     Tony interrupted. "Anxiety issues or somethin'?"

     "No," Greg laughed. "It's Michael Jackson, man," he said smoothly. "We're doing a show tonight at Madison Square Garden and you know I had to bring him to your spot while we're out here."

     Tony's eyes widened. "Oh man! Of course! Of Course! I heard he was in town.  Tell him to come in! I'll lock up the front and kick the one girl out that's in there."

     "Well, no you don't have to kick her out. We can handle one girl," Greg laughed.

     So Michael, Greg and a bodyguard named Matt all walked in and Michael and Matt were introduced to Tony.  They all walked past Jasmine who looked to be sleeping with her head still down on the table. The crew occupied a table to the far left of hers, leaving an empty one in between them.

     Rosa was clearly excited to meet Michael.  She didn't even really acknowledge Greg who she hadn't seen in about 2 years. "Oh my god, I can't believe I'm taking Michael Jackson's order," she said with vibrant eyes. "What can I get you, sweetie?"

     Michael flashed a grateful smile towards her. "Umm...I don't know," he said scanning the folded paper menu. "I'll just take an orange juice, thank you." As Rosa gathered everyone else's orders, Michael removed his stylish black blazer and hung it on the back of his chair, leaving just his red button up in view.  He brushed away a few wandering curls as he looked over the lunch section of his menu.

     As it grew silent at the table, while everyone was thinking hard on what they wanted for lunch, their ears finally became attuned to Jasmines music.

     Matt looked around, not sure which direction it was coming from.  It was surely not the diner's radio. "Where is that music coming from?"

     Michael nodded towards Jasmine. "I guess her Walkman."

     Jasmine stretched and slowly picked her upper body up off of the table.  She removed her headphones and called for Rosa. She glanced over at her new company and smirked at them.