Chapter 33

Y'all.... I have no words 🥴😭

August

I was at the building cleaning up and doing some last minute work. The final inspection for the building was approved and some of the units already have tenants. So I was getting the other units ready for more incoming tenants.

Going through the applications and screening for who to approve was difficult. The hard part was making sure we get the right tenants who have  a job and stable income. I know the horrors of terrible tenants and I'll be damn if a mothafucka come living in my shit for free.

They use to try that shit with pops but I had to shut that shit down a few times. Most of his old tenants respected him but 1 or 2 would try to show their ass.

I was about to call to check on Xe when I felt my phone vibrating. I notice it was a call from my grandma. I answered immediately but it was pops who was on the line.

"Hey pops, what's up how you calling me from grams phone?" Immediately my mind start racing.

"Hey son, we just got to the hospital. We in the emergency room wa..."

Before he could say anything else I cut him off. "Is grams alright... Which hospital y'all at I'm coming right now."

He was telling me grams is good but I wasn't trying to hear none of that I needed to go see her for myself.

He told me they were at downstate hospital so I lock up the building and sped down there.

In no time I was pulling up outside the emergency room area. It's illegal to park out front, that area is for drop offs and emergency vehicles only but fuck it I'll take a ticket.

I hop out the car and rush inside to find pops. As I walk in I saw him and granny standing by the front desk with a bag in her hand. I breathe out a sigh of relief to see that she's okay but in the next breath I was confuse as to why they were here.

"Pops, gram.. y'all good? what's going on?" I ask walking towards them.

"Yea son, a young lady got stabbed and beat pretty badly outside of Rays corner store. We saw the attack when your grandpa pulled up so we rushed over to help... Poor girl she's so young and I think she's pregnant. She was holding her stomach saying her baby". Granny said holding her free hand over her heart.

"I rode with her in the ambulance while your grandpa drove behind. I told him to call you just incase you went by the house looking for us." She continued.

"I was worried when he told me y'all was here."

"Yea cause yo ass ain't let me finish what I was saying." Pops chimed in shaking his head.

"Yea cause all I could think was to get here to make sure everything was good. But that's crazy, in broad daylight they out here doing that." These niggas are reckless out here.

I used to do reckless shit too but at least I know the importance of time and place.

Hearing that the girl is pregnant my mind instantly run on Xe. I want her to meet my grandparents this Sunday so I can introduce her to them and tell them about the baby.

I know my grandparents want the best for me and I know granny will be too happy to hear she's gonna get a grand baby from me. She's always telling me she want me to give her a baby before she dies.

Pops he's just happy I'm turning my life around and taking over the building since he can't manage everything on his own anymore.

"What's in that bag?" I asked pointing to the black plastic bag in my granny hand.