Chapter Sixty-Four - Not Fine

Start from the beginning

After a moment, she withdrew from the machines. "Everything is looking well, Samantha. When you're ready, we can discuss further treatment for your leg."

"Or lack thereof," Marshall quipped. 

"Marshall!" Samuel shot him a look of absolute fury. 

Something pricked my heart, and for a moment I was tempted to do something other than frown. Marshall watched me as my face fought different expressions before he mumbled under his breath and looked at Samuel with a glint in his eyes. 

Dr. Gates ignored us all and walked around my bed. She hung the clipboard at the base and said, "We'll leave you to your morning. I'm glad you're doing better, Samantha."

She began to walk out of the room and Marshall followed suit. He shot me a glance as they left, winking as Samuel lowered himself in the seat next to me. 

"I'm sorry about him," Samuel said as soon as the door was shut. 

"Don't worry about it."

He sighed. "I know you want to see Will, but the chiefs want to talk to you before you see anyone else." 

I nodded. "I should have figured as much."

"You don't have to see them right away."

Instead of responding, I looked at Samuel. He was staring at my sheets. Underneath his eyes were dark circles and his hair was beyond repair. The side of his head, where there used to be an ear, was now covered with red and inflamed skin. He wore a long sleeve shirt, and I was beginning to think it was supposed to cover the rest of his injuries. 

"How long has it been since a doctor looked at you?"

Samuel looked up, confused. "I don't know. I'm good."

"No, you're not. Get Marshall back in here."

He groaned. "Anyone but him."

I set my mouth in a firm line. Samuel squinted his eyes and looked at me, twisting his lips into a frown. "If I do this, then you have to tell me when you're not feeling okay. No exceptions. You feel pain, you tell me or a doctor and we'll take care of it."

"Then you have to tell me the same thing and let Marshal look at you."

Samuel groaned. "How about we just agree to tell each other these things, and forget Marshall?"

"Absolutely not." 

Samuel grumbled something and pulled out his phone. He typed away, hopefully texting Marshall, then put it on the desk beside us. Silence stretched for a moment, but I could tell Samuel was uncomfortable. 

"What is it?"

He looked up. "I'm just thinking about you."

My voice quieted. "About my leg."

He nodded. "And other things. What are you thinking?"

I shrugged. "Same. And you."

A ghost of a smile appeared on his lips. "If I'd have known this was all it took to get you to think about me, I would have done it ages ago." I grimaced, but Samuel laughed. "Bad joke?" 

"Horrible."

He laughed again, then grew sober. "How are you doing today, though?"

I took a deep breath and tried to keep my voice from shaking. My initial reaction was to sluff off his concern, but at that point, I knew Samuel would never believe me. That, and realized I didn't want to pretend, anymore.