Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

She crossed her boney arms, bringing attention to her chest and clear as day I could see it rise and fall at an alarming rate. "You know what else he's been saying? He says that you killed father." Carlo said chillingly.

Her eyes grew wider, if that were at all possible. I was only hoping Carlo could see all the things I was noticing. "I did not!" She yelled.

"Is that so?" I finally spoke up.

Carlo walked to his chair, twisted it around to face me. "Sit." He ordered Liliana. "Let's talk this out like the rational famiglia we used to be, shall we?"

She sat. Carlo continued to stand off to the side. He twirled the blade between his fingers. She took in his actions, terror in her eyes. She knew her brother was a heartless bastard, she knew he'd kill her in heartbeat if he found out she had betrayed him, "He can't prove it." She said quickly, "You don't honestly believe I murdered our own father, do you? I loved him!" She actually had the audacity to sound appalled at the accusation. If my hands weren't tired behind my back I'd have clapped at her little show.

"Oh but I can. You might have loved him, but we both know you meant little to him." I pushed.

Her jaw twitched, "I know your game, Dantè and it isn't going to work." She sneered.

Carlo chuckled , "Now, now little love birds."

I rolled my eyes. "There's no love there brother, he's a piece of shit." She spat, "Leaving a sick woman at her lowest."

I smirked and eyed her from head to toe, "Your lowest? I'd say you're quite lower now, wouldn't you, Liliana? All sunken in a shriveled up." Her eyes narrowed. Her wrath coming out in waves.

"You don't look so good yourself, Dantè. A little beaten down."

"True, for now. But let's keep the focus on you, you've always loved all the attention anyways. Let's talk about how scared you are right now, bet your heart is trying to jump it's way out of your chest, isn't it? Feeling like you might just pass out? Palms may even be sweaty. Because you know what I'm saying is the truth."

She shook her head, "You're really pathetic, you know. Trying to lie yourself out of this, as if I'd really kill my own father." She swung her head back up at Carlo, "Steal from my own brother. Unlike you Dantè, I know where my loyalty lies. But that's something you know nothing about, huh?"

I laughed, "Loyalties? Then prove it, Lili. Snort any one of these bricks here." I swung my eyes around the stalked warehouse, bargaining. Because I sure as hell wasn't sure how much she'd been snuffing, and I sure as shit wasn't certain any of her fentanyl replaced product was even in the building.

Her face dropped as she looked back at Carlo, his own features telling her he thought it a good idea. "You know I can't do that, Carlo. Come on, I've been clean for months now."

I laughed louder this time. Not able to stop after watching her deliver that horrible lie. Carlos didn't seem to buy it either, "Oh please, Lili. Just three days ago you left the residue on my bathroom counter."

"Okay maybe not months but I'm trying to get clean Carlo. Really. That was the last time, I swear it." He was quiet for what seemed like forever. "You believe me don't you, brother?"

Carlo circled her sitting frame, "Of course, sorellina." He locked gazes with me, cool as a fucking cucumber. Fuck, this is not going to way I want it too. I thought.

Shit. Shit. Shit. "I know where the gun is!" I blurted as he walked towards me, stopping him in his tracks. "The glock she used to kill Roberto."