Day 23 - part one

«Isn't it ironic?»

You raised your eyes on the white shadow beside you.

You knew who he was, of course, but once again his wide figure was blurred, features impossible to distinguish.

«What would be ironic?»

Your voice was low, almost tired.

«You have a gift, [Y/n]. Even before we started training your Observation haki, I knew it was your thing. Plus, you are one of the best snipers I've ever met. Looks like all your skills revolve around sight.»

«So?»

«Yet you can be incredibly blind.»

A veil of sadness clouded your chest.

His long fingers reached your chin, hardly touching it, guiding your face so your gazes could meet. Still, you couldn't see him.

«And if I leave you without a goodbye, will you stay broken forever?»

Warm tears gathered in your eyes as your teeth grazed your lower lip.

«I...»

«[Y/n]!»

Your focus shifted beyond the tall man.

A young marine was waving at you, innocent grin plastered on his face and pink locks following his movement. Beside him, his blond companion sat, waiting patiently.

You squinted, noticing more people behind them.

Tashigi was smiling, and Smoker stared back at you with his usual stern look, but there was maybe a hint of softness in his eyes.

Tsuru-sama nodded towards you, a smirk curling her wrinkled face.

«Somehow, you made me the only person worthy of your affection. And when I left, you stayed in the darkness.»

Your eyes flicked back on his unfocused figure.

«Is this the reason you left without a word? So I could rethink the image I had of you and finally see other people?»

He seemed to shrug.

«Maybe. This is your dream, [Y/n].»

«But I needed it. I fucking needed an explanation, a farewell, anything!»

Suddenly, the air behind you caught fire.

An imposing presence had appeared at your back, and it was as red as blood.

The white figure took a step farther.

«Is that what you needed?»

The space was suddenly split in white and red, and you found yourself exactly in the middle.

You saw Koby's face turning alarmed.

Even without looking, you knew who was behind you.

Koby stretched his hand towards you as the blurred figure dissipated. Smoker pulled out his jitte.

«[Y/n], come!»

«Girl!»

You didn't move. Your tongue was glued to your palate.

«[Y/n], please!» Tashigi cried.

You opened your mouth to allow more air inside your crumbled lungs.

«Why don't you say anything?» you asked, voice feeble for just the red monster to hear.