Day 0 [prologue]

Shit.

This wasn't good.

Your wrists were tightly tied together above your head on a wooden beam, in the dim-light of the cabin. Somehow, your ankles were also secured to the ground, although you couldn't see how.

The Marines uniform was half-ripped on your torso, blood spilling from the wounds the pirates had left on you.

Yes, you stayed back in that battle to allow your comrades to escape. And they did.

They left you behind, and you tried your best to go down taking as many pirates as possible with you.

But the harsh truth was that it was not supposed to be you. You were never a hand-to-hand fighter. You were a fucking sniper, dammit! Not even a Devil fruit's user.

Why the fuck was it you then?

You bit your lip.

You knew why.

Ever since Sakazuki became the Fleet Admiral, your safety had been in danger. As a former disciple of Admiral Aokiji, he couldn't stand you. Tsuru-sama had prevented him from throwing you out of the Marines so far, but she couldn't secure your life. You were an official, after all. You had to be ready to give your life up for them.

And you were.

But they hadn't taken your life. Not yet.

You were trying your best to keep your breathing regular.

It was extremely stupid, from your part, to be caught alive. And by the Kid Pirates of all people.

No, stop.

You couldn't succumb to panic. You were a fucking marine officer, Aokiji's best student!

...but he had left you behind too.

And now you were in that empty wooden cabin, half naked, tied-up, waiting.

You knew who you were waiting for. The cabin was large, the bed king-sized.

You shuddered as the door creaked, your heart almost bursting in your chest.

«Weeeell... let's see what we have here.»

You focused your whole self not to shiver.

You had to be strong, no matter what.

«Eustass "Captain" Kid, I presume.» you managed to say, struggling to keep your voice firm.

He didn't reply, slowly walking towards you, designing wide circles as a predator with his prey.

When you could finally see him, you felt yourself collapsing.

He was huge.

He was more than 2 metres high, and his muscular bare chest was more than twice yours.

Your eyes widened as he towered on you, bending over to watch you closely.

God.

You had seen him on the bounty posters and through the gunsight of your rifle, but never in person.

Well, here he was now, alone with you in a room that didn't seem so wide anymore.

The scar disfiguring his face and torso was almost as big as you were. The contorted metallic arm was even bigger. His lips were dark and deformed in a devilish smile.

Why didn't I die earlier?

You were frozen, still forcing yourself not to surrender to tears or screams.