Day 12

Credits: the art above is from ceejindeed, an amazing artist very dedicated to the Kid Pirates - you can find him on twitter, instagram and many other platforms.

*

«If I recall correctly, I told you not to come to Jaya.»

«You recall correctly.» you confirmed, wiping the cane of your rifle.

«So why are you here?»

«Because I didn't listen. And admit it, sensei, for once I saved your ass.»

Aojiki's long breath condensed in a cloud of vapour.

«Akainu is right. I'm not a good example to follow for my subordinates.»

You chuckled, re-assembling your weapon.

«[Y/n].»

The voice he used made you raise your eyes, a concerned veil lingering in them.

The Admiral looked right back at you, studying your gaze, exploring your days by his side with his memory.

«There's somewhere we need to go.»

You frowned.

«I thought we were supposed to be back to Marineford immediately.»

«We'll take a little detour.»

Aokiji headed to the shore, and you hurried by his side.

«Do you trust me?»

The question had your heart pounding so hard you stumbled on your feet.

«I... of course I do, sensei.»

He just hummed in reply.

Once you reached his bicycle, he briefly turned to you.

«There is something I want you to have. Once in your hands, it will be your choice what to make of it.»

«Huh... fine, I guess?»

Aokiji's eyes rested on your face for a few seconds.

There was a question in his gaze, who knows if for you or for himself. He never voiced it, and you never asked.

The bright light of the sun cut through your dreams, forcefully invading your mind.

A hoarse groan left your throat as you rolled in the knotted sheets.

The night before had been difficult, with the fever coming and going. You couldn't fall asleep for hours, so you read the childhood booklet. That ancient tale lulled you into sleep again.

The infirmary was empty, but the pirates were clearly audible on the deck. The whole ship was awake and lively.

Trying to move your body one muscle at a time, you found out your conditions had improved a lot since the day before.

God bless that miracle doctor.

A big bucket full of clean water and a bottle of dry shampoo were waiting for you on the floor of the desert infirmary.

God bless him double.

You took your time to lay your feet back on the ground, then slowly stood, never letting go of the headboard.

Your legs were shaky at first, but your body responded well.

The ship rolled gently while you washed yourself. Coarse laughter and vulgar shouts echoed from outside.