Day 14

«[L/n]-san?»

You raised your eyes from the gunsight, still lying on the ground of the training field.

A young marine soldier saluted you.

«The Admiral called for you. He's waiting in the central office of building A.»

You frowned lightly.

Aokiji was not supposed to be back for another three or four days. Well, he had probably completed his mission by that moment, it was just that he always came back later than expected because of his laziness.

Maybe there was another urgent mission waiting and you had to leave right away. That wasn't uncommon either.

«Thank you, soldier. I will go immediately.»

The man nodded and marched away, while you stood, adjusting the rifle on your shoulder.

Building A was not far.

It was a hot summer afternoon, and most of the offices were empty.

You didn't bother to knock before stepping inside the indicated room.

«Sensei, how come you're alrea–»

The words died in your mouth when the huge man turned to you.

His features were hard as always, his sharp eyes pierced your skull with his blazing contempt.

You shut up and automatically stood at attention.

«Soldier [L/n]. You're supposed to knock and speak when you're asked to. But yet again, you're Aokiji's underlying.»

Your lips pressed against each other for a second.

Akainu turned his back to you to pick up some files from the desk.

«I've been told you're one of our best snipers.»

«Yes sir.»

«I need your assistance for the upcoming mission. You can prepare your things, we leave in two hours.»

Your stomach clenched.

Not that you hadn't worked with anyone else aside from Aokiji, but not with such a short notice and not without his consent.

Akainu's eyes flicked on you.

«Why are you still here, soldier?»

«I...» you tried to swallow down the fear «Akainu-sama, does Admiral Aokiji know about this?»

You knew you did a wrong move when rage entered his face.

«I do not need his permission to take the men I consider necessary. Be at dock three in two hours and don't make me hear your voice again. Now go.»

Three days later, Akainu's warship docked back in Marineford.

You were leaning on the railing, empty eyes fixed in the void, mouth shut like it was for the whole mission.

The rifle felt so heavy on your shoulder you were almost tempted to drop it.

Among the soldiers working on the dock, there was a familiar figure, waiting.

One single heartbeat pumped the life in your veins again when your gaze met Aokiji's.

His frown deepened.