Chapter 3

1962:

I pace around my small apartment. Back and forth. Back and forth. I haven't talked to anyone, afraid of what people will think, or see.  Today, I will try to go out for a drink. That's it, I will go to the bar across the street, order a drink and leave when I am done. I dress in a gray sweater, black jeans, and sneakers. I finally lock the door to my apartment and walk down the seven flights of stairs to the street. No wonder the apartment was so cheap. After I get to the bar, I sit in a vacant corner seat and survey my surroundings. Most people are drunk and have undoubtedly been here a long time. I look over to a small table in the middle of the room to see two men looking at me, immediately making me regret my choice of coming out tonight.

"What can I get you miss?" I turn around and see one of the bartenders staring right at me, a frown on his face. " Um, c-can I get a water p-please?" He looks at me confused but nods. I feel a chair on each side of me move, two people sitting beside me, but I ignore it. The bartender comes back and sets my water in front of me. I begin to sip on my water nervously. After a few minutes of silence, one of them speaks up. "Hello, I am Charles Xavier and that man over there is my friend Erik." 

I look over to the man who spoke to see a light-haired man with blue eyes, one of the men who was looking at me earlier. I look back down "We are trying to put together a group of gifted youngsters, and we would like you to consider being in it." The man named Erik said. I sigh, "I don't know what type of "gift," you think I have but I can assure you, I won't be of any use to your group." I get up and walk out of the bar, the men following close behind. I run across the street and up the stairs to my apartment. When I get there I close and lock the door.

You got the wrong impression of what we wish of you. I look around the room to see who is speaking, but find no one. "who is here?" No one is there, I am in your head. It's Charles, see I am just like you, a mutant. "I don't know where you heard that but I am no mutant." Please, I know you don't know you have powers but I can prove it to you. Come to my school and I will prove it to you there, and if you do not wish to join, then we will drop you off here again. I begin to think for a few seconds. "Promise?" I promise.

"I'm in."